NY1: NYC Economic Development Corp. Seeks Developers For Lots By St. George

KeystoneRegional

NY1 / Amanda Farinacci - " A trip on the Staten Island Ferry is a tourist favorite, but the city's Economic Development Corporation wants tourists to also spend time on the North Shore of Staten Island. Borough Reporter Amanda Farinacci filed the following report.

More than two million tourists who take the 20-minute ride across the harbor every year. Many get right on the next boat back to Manhattan because there's not much for them to do near the St. George terminal.

The New York City Economic Development Corporation wants to do something about that. Last fall, it asked for expressions of interest in what it calls the "St. George Station," two lots of undeveloped land next to to the ferry terminal.

The hope is that a developer will build something to keep tourists on Staten Island a bit longer and give North Shore residents some much needed amenities like a shopping center or more restaurants.

The EDC would not give specifics about who might be interested in the site, but people familiar with the matter told NY1 the agency is considering five potential development projects.

"We're really interested to see what comes of it," said Leticia Remauro of Community Board 1.

Residents said they are hoping whatever new development comes to the area also brings with it additional parking.

EDC officials said that will not be a problem, as any proposal will have to include replacing all public parking and adding whatever new spaces the development would need.

There is no word yet on just when the agency will name a developer."

Source Link: http://statenisland.ny1.com/content/top_stories/160289/nyc-economic-development-corp--seeks-developers-for-lots-by-s-i--ferry-terminal

That would make the area similar to Flushing and Jamaica in the sense that it will be an intermodal transfer point, as well as a shopping destination.

I think this would be a great idea considering how quiet and run down Northern Staten Island seems, I like the plan and hope it goes through pretty quickly!

Archived