NICE Bus 1540 in sorry shape

PinePower

These buses will be gone soon and replaced with brand new buses! :)

I can already smell the new bus smell... :)

Yeah we need 'em, alot of the V's are shot. The 1700s and 1800s seem in much better shape. Which is too bad since I prefer the V layout better, but the days of the high floor transit bus are pretty much over. If only you could take a V and put the engine in the NG's in it... B)

Yeah we need 'em, alot of the V's are shot. The 1700s and 1800s seem in much better shape. Which is too bad since I prefer the V layout better, but the days of the high floor transit bus are pretty much over. If only you could take a V and put the engine in the NG's in it... B)

Which I honestly thought should've happened since Cummins engines dont often lose power especially when climbing hills. They should've came in the 2003-2004 Orion V CNGs in my opinion. I rode the N20 from Hicksville to Flushing on 1735 and that bus took every hill like a champ.

Which I honestly thought should've happened since Cummins engines dont often lose power especially when climbing hills. They should've came in the 2003-2004 Orion V CNGs in my opinion. I rode the N20 from Hicksville to Flushing on 1735 and that bus took every hill like a champ.

Well the series 50G is a 4cyl, I know the cylinders are big but it dont have the power of the 6v92. They probably should've stuck with Cummins, the 50G may work fine in the city or in flat areas but where speed and hill climbing is needed Cummins is better. You can easily tell the differencre in the Bee-Line V's, the newer ones with the Cummins engines do much better on the hills and are faster than the V's that were given to MTA (with the series 50).

Throw on the A/C and the series 50s really struggle. Though I will say the Suffolk Transit V's flew, but the bus was 5 feet shorter. Still they had alot of turbo probs with 'em.

Well this is why Detroit Diesel isn't in the engine business anymore. I know when the later Orion V CNG orders came in the L10G wasn't

made anymore but they did have the C-Gas Plus I think. The ZF tranny/L10G combo was neat, I bet a Voith would've been awesome.

I like the NJT philosophy of barring the use of 4cyl engines. I dont think they ever went with anything less than 6.

Archived