Harlem’s ‘Queen of Soul Food’ Sylvia Woods dies at 86

Shortline Bus

sylvia20n-5-web.jpg

New York’s legendary “Queen of Soul Food” Sylvia Woods, whose iconic restaurant drew dignitaries and ordinary folk from all over the world to Harlem to taste her fried chicken, died Thursday at 86.

News that she died broke just as Mayor Bloomberg was paying tribute to the 50th anniversary of “Sylvia’s” at a gala reception at Gracie Mansion.

“We lost a legend today,” the mayor said. “Generations of family and friends have come together at what became a New York institution.”

The Woods family said she was surrounded by loved ones when lost her battle with Alzheimer's.

Tributes quickly began pouring in.

“Sylvia's has been more than a restaurant, it has been a meeting place for black America,” said the Rev. Al Sharpton, who recalled dining there with everyone from President Obama to Caroline Kennedy."

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...9#ixzz218nvBvTx

imlhm,.

Any one here had a meal there? Amazingly I have never eat there. Got to go when i get a chance. RIP. "Sylvia."

Very sad news. I've had food from Sylvia's in the past and to be totally honest, I've had better soul food elsewhere but with that said, I wouldn't be against going back there again. It is an institution in Harlem and it will not be the same knowing that Ms Sylvia won't be there.

R.I.P.

Archived