(AUS) Safety fears after fatal crash

Pakenhamtrain

From the Age:

Safety fears after fatal crash

November 3, 2012

•  

Cameron Houston, Chris Hingston and Jill Stark

THE horrific collision between a truck and train in Dandenong South that killed one man and left nine more in hospital has cast further doubts over the safety of Victoria's level crossings.

The train, with about 30 passengers, was travelling at an estimated 115km/h between Dandenong Station and Lynbrook Station when it and the semitrailer collided. The front two carriages jack-knifed before grinding to a halt about 200 metres from the crossing.

The train was the 10:55 Flinders Street Cranbourne service made up of 306M-1006T-305M-589M-1022T-583M. 306Ms front was badly damaged and on it's side. 1006T has side damage and was 90 degrees to the track. The last 4 were upright with some damage.

I have been over that crossing many times. There's no excuse for not stopping. You can see it clearly in both directions and the lights are very visible. I would not want to be in the truck drivers shoes at the moment. He's is in you know what big time.

What does annoy me the discussion has gone from the crash to "Level crossings are evil things and should be all bridged" The reality is there is nothing wrong with this crossing.

What does annoy me the discussion has gone from the crash to "Level crossings are evil things and should be all bridged" The reality is there is nothing wrong with this crossing

It's the stupid "People must be protected from themsevels" mentatilty. It's the just a governmental easy way out. Since they can't make being stupid illegal, they've got to find something else to do.

Lets just be thankful for those folks on the train that he was only carrying produce, and didn't have, say, a fuel tanker.

Lets just be thankful for those folks on the train that he was only carrying produce, and didn't have, say, a fuel tanker.

A lot of people are thankful it wasn't the day before at around 1730. In the front 3 cars there could of been easily 600 people in them. Lyndbrook, Merinda Park and Cranbourne(depending on the platform) all have their entrances at the front end of the train in that direction.

Knowing the area well it is lucky. There a quite a few factories around there that make things heavier things than veggies.

A lot of people are thankful it wasn't the day before at around 1730. In the front 3 cars there could of been easily 600 people in them. Lyndbrook, Merinda Park and Cranbourne(depending on the platform) all have their entrances at the front end of the train in that direction.

Knowing the area well it is lucky. There a quite a few factories around there that make things heavier things than veggies.

Archived