Newsman Rob Morrison quits CBS/Ch.2 TV anchor post after arrest for choking wife

Shortline Bus

anchor21n-4-web.jpg

Abusive anchorman Rob Morrison quit his WCBS-TV job Wednesday after a meeting with station brass.

The abrupt resignation came three days after the veteran broadcaster’s arrest for choking his wife — and then allegedly threatening to kill her — in a late-night fight in their Connecticut home.

“My family is my first and only priority right now and I have informed CBS management that I need to put all of my time and energy into making sure that I do what’s best for my wife and my son,” Morrison said in a terse statement.

“I very much appreciate the opportunity that CBS has given me and I thank them for accepting my decision.”

WCBS-TV officials had summoned Morrison for a Manhattan sitdown following the flood of negative publicity over the wild weekend fracas.

The station was not commenting Wednesday, but Morrison’s mother-in-law offered little sympathy for the newly unemployed Morrison.

“I don’t want to see anybody’s life destroyed,” Martha Risk told the Daily News. “What do people say — we have to pay the piper? We all pay for what we do in some way.”

Morrison’s resignation came one day after Connecticut court papers charged he turned homicidal while in custody, promising he “would kill” his wife Ashley Morrison once cops turned him loose.

Officials at WCBS were livid that the “News at Noon” anchor allegedly lied to them about the bruises on his face when he came to work Monday, sources said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/rob-morrison-infidelities-led-2008-nbc-ouster-article-1.1268734#ixzz2LUwY9bWh

I thought it was funny I first heard the news because I got it when I was watching WCBS-TV. It was almost like the station had turned on him, and this was before he resigned! I knew he was gonna quit, or get fired. There was no way he was coming back. No station wants that publicity on their anchors.

Archived