Retired SORTA buses. (Not my photos)

These aren't my photos, they belong to Darius Pinkston (except where otherwise credited).  I thought I'd put together a photoset of inactive Cincinnati Metro buses, as no one seems to have done that yet.

The old Metro paint scheme, found on these Gillig Phantoms, was phased out in the mid-2000s.  Some of these buses received the new white paint scheme, the majority didn't.

oI7QjmRl.jpg

9cmyc8Ml.jpg

Much to my surprise, these last few old-scheme buses were only auctioned off this past winter. 

FxlqmZ7l.jpg

nDADtHLl.jpg

ZHXXlVzl.jpg

KI7IBrDl.jpg

fuFFWFtl.jpg

Interior shot of one of the retirees.  Plenty of active buses still use this layout.

0SfPyY7l.jpg

HI5Ocsyl.jpg

W0i4cWol.jpg

Here's an unusual sight, a 2006 Gillig stripped bare...no idea why this one was retired, but I think I see some damage on the front.

8VH5BbSl.jpg

More retired Gilligs.

5NtnKY9l.jpg

kyeT2XZl.jpg

Fk0ZFhvl.jpg

Oops.

mPcXNZnl.jpg

The one 2008 model in the fleet, now inactive.

KUCIqpol.jpg

We have shorties, too...this one without an engine.  Apparently this was full-sized at one point.

PwcUH5ql.jpg

G1G2a5fl.jpg

cq03elzl.jpg

More incidents.

beGkTPDl.jpg

VBorAx4l.jpg

awf3Ifdl.jpg

sWiBXUtl.jpg

FAxRK0vl.jpg

PjxZIcZl.jpg

This was one of the routes I take home occasionally - it is the second 2002 Gillig to be retired from the fleet, the other one being badly wrecked.  No injuries here, thank goodness. (Photos from multiple sources.)

roFH2KYl.jpg

cnt4AwEl.jpg

PSVPa1wl.jpg

D93iR7ql.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

The dude that was run out of Philly, hope he is not causing trouble out in Ohio 

Which dude are we referring to, here?

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update: the rather charred bus seen in the last few photos is reportedly being rebuilt from the cab up. Everything past the cab has been snipped right off.  Makes you wonder, what with the bus being over a decade old...

Anyway, here are some vintage photos (also not mine!) of some that have been gone from the fleet for over a decade now.

LYY8J0ol.jpg

ICWdywxl.jpg

QogE7Lxl.jpg

QgdkUufl.jpg

xMRVyWOl.jpg

sTCUXP8l.jpg

ROsWcXJl.jpg

Anyone know why the first bus shown doesn't have the marker lights on either side of the destination display? Were they an option on later models only?

Apparently SORTA (Metro) acquired a number of ex-NYC 1987 Flxibles! Never knew about this until recently; here's a list of which ones they were: http://www.ctha.org/Rosters/Go-Metro/flxible/40102-8-1.asp

Archived