What does removing switches do?

Quill Depot

Subwayguy i remembered they used that switch so often back in the 80 when they was doing track work between 62 and 9 ave. I remembered very well that when the (B) was entering 62 street on the outer end toward Manhattan, they reverse it to the middle track then go back to 62 street middle track. After that they go to 55 , 50 street ft hamilton pkwy and passengers used the temporary station that connect to middle track. I don't know if they will still do that plan today if needed. 

They still use those. A train will get rerouted down the middle from 62nd if it needs to run around a service disruption. It's also possible to turn a train there, but you'll rarely see that.

Both Bay 50th switches south of the station are used too, although rarely, to put a train up the middle if it has to run around something, or to bring a train into CI Yard.

It would appear that the switches got used just recently for a reroute, though I still haven't caught any train using the one at Bay 50 Street (the one that switches trains from the Manhattan-bound track to the express track south of the station). It's probably mentioned in one of the service change notifications, but I didn't take a picture of it.

It would appear that the switches got used just recently for a reroute, though I still haven't caught any train using the one at Bay 50 Street (the one that switches trains from the Manhattan-bound track to the express track south of the station). It's probably mentioned in one of the service change notifications, but I didn't take a picture of it.

Not all reroutes are planned.

They had to run around something at 25th Avenue in the late summer/early fall I remember, and used that switch to run around the incident train until whatever the problem was could be overcome.

Archived