1972 Vignelli Station Directory

Lance

As most people here know, when the Vignelli-designed diagrammatic map was unveiled in 1972, it was intended to be one piece of a three-part way-finding system. The first part was obviously the service map. While the neighborhood maps would eventually come into existence, even if it was after the switch from the Vignelli maps to the Hertz Diamond Jubilee map in 1979, a version of the station directory was never implemented.

I've taken the opportunity to create a version of said directory based on the services available when the first Vignelli map was released in September 1972. The design is for the most part based on information found in the NYCTA Graphics Standards Manual. I've taken a few liberties given the lack of adequate information on handling some stations, especially those that would require multiple transfers. Speaking of which, doing this exercise makes one realize just how isolated the IND, and in particular the Crosstown line, was in relation to the rest of the subway.

I may create an updated version for the current and near-future services. Until then, enjoy this.

LfkEzQR.png

PDF Version

Archived