Transportation Podcast: Moving Block

MovingBlock

Hi,

I started a few months ago a podcast about urban planning and transportation in New York City. I just released my fourth episode. My latest pod is about fixing penn station using through running.  I hope you can subscribe, take a listen, and have some constructive feedback.

you can also sign up for the podcast in Itunes or TuneIn here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/moving-block/id1206677935?mt=2

https://tunein.com/radio/Moving-Block-p999020/

42 minutes ago, MovingBlock said:

Hi,

I started a few months ago a podcast about urban planning and transportation in New York City. I just released my fourth episode. My latest pod is about fixing penn station using through running.  I hope you can subscribe, take a listen, and have some constructive feedback.

you can also sign up for the podcast in Itunes or TuneIn here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/moving-block/id1206677935?mt=2

https://tunein.com/radio/Moving-Block-p999020/

Awesome I'll subscribe I've been listening to "On our Line" some stories on NYC but mostly London based. Nice to have something more NYC centric.

-R3  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Did you know that Uber and Lyft drivers spend ⅓ of their time in midtown manhattan empty searching and waiting for fares? How does this affect congestion and what can be done to have our taxi system run more efficiently?

I sit down with Bruce Schaller, a consultant, and a former executive at NYC DOT and Taxi and Limousine Commission on how best to manage our roads to alleviate traffic. We also discuss the hot topic of congestion pricing.

For More information on Schaller's work, check out his website:

www.schallerconsult.com

• 1 month later...

Did you know there are 47 acres of city owned land in the middle of Queens sitting unused since 1962? This is what’s known as the former Rockaway Beach Branch of the Long Island Rail Road. Many groups have been discussing whether this asset should be reused for future rail service or turned into a linear park. Today I sit down for a group interview, with representatives from the Trust for Public Land. I’ll be chatting with Adrian Benepe, former New York City Parks Commissioner, as well as Andy Stone and Carter Strickland who are deeply involved in trying to turn this asset into city park called The Queensway.

To learn more about the Queensway project take a look at their website at thequeensway.org.

More info can also be found on the Trust for Public land site at tpl.org

21 hours ago, MovingBlock said:

Did you know there are 47 acres of city owned land in the middle of Queens sitting unused since 1962? This is what’s known as the former Rockaway Beach Branch of the Long Island Rail Road. Many groups have been discussing whether this asset should be reused for future rail service or turned into a linear park. Today I sit down for a group interview, with representatives from the Trust for Public Land. I’ll be chatting with Adrian Benepe, former New York City Parks Commissioner, as well as Andy Stone and Carter Strickland who are deeply involved in trying to turn this asset into city park called The Queensway.

To learn more about the Queensway project take a look at their website at thequeensway.org.

More info can also be found on the Trust for Public land site at tpl.org

There's already a thread for the Rockaway Beach Branch if you want to check it out

https://www.nyctransitforums.com/topic/50826-rockaway-beach-branch/

On 1/25/2018 at 11:23 PM, MovingBlock said:

Did you know that Uber and Lyft drivers spend ⅓ of their time in midtown manhattan empty searching and waiting for fares? How does this affect congestion and what can be done to have our taxi system run more efficiently?

I sit down with Bruce Schaller, a consultant, and a former executive at NYC DOT and Taxi and Limousine Commission on how best to manage our roads to alleviate traffic. We also discuss the hot topic of congestion pricing.

For More information on Schaller's work, check out his website:

www.schallerconsult.com

I forgot who I was talking to about this, but its like even in places like Austin, Tex, Uber drivers end up making maybe $4/hr after maintenance and fuel is factored in. That being said, with all these gypsy cabs with the Uber, Lyft and Via placards in the windows driving around looking for fares, along with Yellow cabs and the black cars in the outer boroughs, we've got worse congestion because people are busy trying to find a fare to get above that $4/hr.

I think ride share driving is a worse career move for people than joining Primerica or another MLM program (and I'm an insurance agent who did Primerica for two months, so trust.)

Archived