Need some information on Bus Operator vs Train Operator

prtuc2

First of all, hello everyone. I am in a dilemma deciding whether which position is more suitable for me, just need some opinions from people who are already working with the MTA right now. I am taking the bus operator exam in December and already possess a CDL passenger, school bus endorsement and waiting for the train operator appeal. I had a few co-workers in my company used to be MTA bus operator and said they left due to the high stress of the job. They not very friendly always rush to move out and I can't seems to get them to answer any questions and here I am.

My main concerns are the benefits for the job. My current job got rather bad health insurance plan. What do I expected to pay for medical (single) per paycheck? Does working on weekend considered overtime paid or just regular paid? In general does MTA still offers overtime for bus operator or train operator? I am in a position I don't want to be switching jobs over and over again, try to make this one as my retirement job. Thanks for any input.

Well as for which job itself is better, it really depends on your preference. It's true, bus operators are always complaining that the job is stressful, and that working for DOS is better. But it's also true that people in transit are always complaining about their jobs as well, and how bus operators have it better. The point I'm trying to make is that most of these people are always complaining about everything. Heck, even station agents who sit down all day and do nothing are always complaining about their jobs and are always in a bad mood. Don't listen to people who complain too much. Every job has pros and cons. You don't have to take the stress of the job home with you. The cons of being a bus operator is pretty much the traffic and dealing with people (which I really don't think is that serious, you can overcome it and get used to it). Any bus operators feel free to correct me though, I am NOT a bus operator, I'm just talking from what my B/O friends tell me. I'm a train conductor, and I think overall working for transit is really not that hard. You want a good job that has no stress at all? Good luck with that.

Now for the second part of your question: the benefits here are great. As for health insurance, you will have a really good health insurance, dental, and vision for $0 per paycheck. If you ever get married and have kids, your kids will be covered as well. Working on the weekends is not considered overtime, you get differential pay for working nights and weekends. Yes, you will work a lot of overtime if you want to (even if you don't want to at the beginning), but just some personal advice: don't live a lifestyle dependent on overtime. 

Feel free to ask me anymore questions. 

Archived