COVID19 Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

I feel that it is appropriate to have a topic for COVID19 and the subway.

Here is a GIF I made of box-and-whisker plots of running times on the (4)(5) from 125th Street to Brooklyn Bridge. The lowest number next to each plot is the MIN, the following number is 25% of all running times, the following is 50%, followed by 75% and the Max.

I also included NYC and US-relevant COVID19 news that would affect people's decisions whether or not to ride the train. I started work on this in order to look at dwells at Grand Central.

Digression:

@RR503 has done an exceptional job at thoroughly explaining operational problems in the system, scheduling problems, signaling issues, and the need for better off-peak service. On the forums, especially as of late, we have spent so much time arguing over subway car assignments, which are not that important in the grand scheme of things, but have mostly ignored discussions of operational issues. I hope to become a transportation planner, hopefully in Operations Planning, so I pay a lot of attention to those posts. Also, they are fascinating. Several of the younger posters here, I presume, also want to become the next Andy Byford. For those posters, I would urge you to read those posts, think about them, and to respond to them with your questions and your thoughts. Carry on.

Stay safe everyone.

giphy.gif

I would love to see what you guys think of this GIF.

EDIT: If anyone knows how to show GIFs in higher resolution, let me know.

Edited by Union Tpke