BenTheMiner's Signs Galore!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are amazing!

I'm going to go back through the thread, download fonts and templates, and try to follow the instructions so I can make some for my subway-obsessed 5-year-old.  Thank you for posting all of your hard work, templates, and fonts.

One question:  Has anyone ever tried making a website/app that can auto-generate these?  (That is, take the correct template for a given model train/bus, pair with the correct font, and then scale and align so you can just type your message?)  It looks like a ton of work goes into these, and I didn't know if it was a replicable enough process that it might be able to be turned into an interactive website.

15 hours ago, DadOfBigSubwayFan said:

These are amazing!

I'm going to go back through the thread, download fonts and templates, and try to follow the instructions so I can make some for my subway-obsessed 5-year-old.  Thank you for posting all of your hard work, templates, and fonts.

One question:  Has anyone ever tried making a website/app that can auto-generate these?  (That is, take the correct template for a given model train/bus, pair with the correct font, and then scale and align so you can just type your message?)  It looks like a ton of work goes into these, and I didn't know if it was a replicable enough process that it might be able to be turned into an interactive website.

Thanks for the compliments!

Yes, I have thought that the process would be much easier if it was semi-automated. I believe there is public code that you can implement into a Discord bot and it allows you to generate bus destination signs (haven't seen one for trains), but it's not that advanced (though I guess it's made up for by being semi-automatic).

Manual sign making is much more customizable and fun, though!

On 3/8/2022 at 3:30 PM, BenTheMiner said:

Thanks for the compliments!

Yes, I have thought that the process would be much easier if it was semi-automated. I believe there is public code that you can implement into a Discord bot and it allows you to generate bus destination signs (haven't seen one for trains), but it's not that advanced (though I guess it's made up for by being semi-automatic).

Manual sign making is much more customizable and fun, though!

Ben, I agree it would be fun making manually...if I had talent.  Would you mind sharing the editable version of a couple of your recent creations (I don't know if you use illustrator, photoshop, or something else) so I could acquire the appropriate software and tinker and try to 1) learn how to do it manually; 2) see if there's a way to make something where someone could go to a website, select a sign type, type a message, and boom have it generate the message on the sign? 

Happy to credit you or collaborate actively.  My main goal is to entertain my 5 year old subway fan with occasional random messages in the form of subway signs, but I think there could be enough other parents whose kids are huge subway fans that a simple website might get some traction...

1 hour ago, DadOfBigSubwayFan said:

Ben, I agree it would be fun making manually...if I had talent.  Would you mind sharing the editable version of a couple of your recent creations (I don't know if you use illustrator, photoshop, or something else) so I could acquire the appropriate software and tinker and try to 1) learn how to do it manually; 2) see if there's a way to make something where someone could go to a website, select a sign type, type a message, and boom have it generate the message on the sign? 

Happy to credit you or collaborate actively.  My main goal is to entertain my 5 year old subway fan with occasional random messages in the form of subway signs, but I think there could be enough other parents whose kids are huge subway fans that a simple website might get some traction...

I use paint.NET, but any paint software should work. Simply type text onto the blank sign templates! Let me know what templates you need if any are needed.

Edited by BenTheMiner