all electric buses vs serial-hybrid electric buses

Marco927

I rode an MTA all electric buses on the Q24 route in Brooklyn in 2019. When I got off the bus via the rear door, the passenger floor of the bus appeared to be higher off the street than other buses. What is the name of those all electric buses?

I recently saw an MTA bus that turned off the engine when it was waiting at a red traffic light. Was it a serial-hybrid bus that uses electric motors to turn the rear wheels and automatically turns the engine when the bus is stopped? what is the name of this bus? How many miles per gallon of diesel can this bus go, compared to the parallel-hybrid buses or the conventional buses?

On 9/28/2022 at 3:09 PM, Marco927 said:

I rode an MTA all electric buses on the Q24 route in Brooklyn in 2019. When I got off the bus via the rear door, the passenger floor of the bus appeared to be higher off the street than other buses. What is the name of those all electric buses?

You're most likely referring to a Proterra BE40 bus which had it's own unique design and floor layout compared most of the other models commonly used in the city. 

On 9/28/2022 at 3:09 PM, Marco927 said:

I recently saw an MTA bus that turned off the engine when it was waiting at a red traffic light. Was it a serial-hybrid bus that uses electric motors to turn the rear wheels and automatically turns the engine when the bus is stopped? what is the name of this bus? How many miles per gallon of diesel can this bus go, compared to the parallel-hybrid buses or the conventional buses?

My guess here would be a New Flyer Hybrid XDE40 if you we're in Brooklyn/Queens.