Called for Assistant Conductor test in 2 weeks…Need all help and advice

Metro North finally called me back after applying relentlessly for years….my test is in 2 weeks…besides basic math and the signal study guide they gave me…is there anything else I need to know that can give me an advantage on the test?…I haven’t done anything school related in years and I’m willing to do anything I can to pass…please help….Thanks in advance 

Congrats, it's basically a crapshoot on whether you get called back for a test just because there's so many people who apply. And this goes for all positions not just AC. Like the Locomotive Engineer test there are 4 sections; Signals and Definitions, Reading Comprehension, Mechanical Aptitude, and Math. Only difference between the AC test and the Engineer test is Math being exclusively on the conductor test and and Attention testing being exclusively on the Engineer test. There used to be a personality test on both exams, but for whatever reason they were removed.

In any case, as long as you study your signals and definitions, you'll do fine. Do not forget to MAKE FLASHCARDS!!!!! Thankfully, the math section isn't random AP/ college level calculations. It's functional "Metro-North" math, all questions will basically utilize Metro-North's fare system so if you like take a look at some of Metro-North's fare charts at MTA.info to get an idea of how fares work, such as peak vs off peak pricing, regular vs senior/disabled, city tickets, etc. Good luck! :rock:

Adding on, you won’t have to memorize the fare zone types. They’ll give you everything in the question such as price of the ticket, quantity of tickets they are purchasing and you may also have to calculate the change they’re supposed to receive. So just brush up on addition, multiplication and subtraction.

On 3/30/2024 at 12:41 AM, AfroG97 said:

Congrats, it's basically a crapshoot on whether you get called back for a test just because there's so many people who apply. And this goes for all positions not just AC. Like the Locomotive Engineer test there are 4 sections; Signals and Definitions, Reading Comprehension, Mechanical Aptitude, and Math. Only difference between the AC test and the Engineer test is Math being exclusively on the conductor test and and Attention testing being exclusively on the Engineer test. There used to be a personality test on both exams, but for whatever reason they were removed.

In any case, as long as you study your signals and definitions, you'll do fine. Do not forget to MAKE FLASHCARDS!!!!! Thankfully, the math section isn't random AP/ college level calculations. It's functional "Metro-North" math, all questions will basically utilize Metro-North's fare system so if you like take a look at some of Metro-North's fare charts at MTA.info to get an idea of how fares work, such as peak vs off peak pricing, regular vs senior/disabled, city tickets, etc. Good luck! :rock:

Thank you for responding…I appreciate it

On 3/30/2024 at 6:31 AM, danielhg121 said:

Adding on, you won’t have to memorize the fare zone types. They’ll give you everything in the question such as price of the ticket, quantity of tickets they are purchasing and you may also have to calculate the change they’re supposed to receive. So just brush up on addition, multiplication and subtraction.

Thank you! Will do

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2024 at 8:44 AM, TunnelVision22 said:

It was kinda difficult…5 parts each one timed…just waiting for the results now

Interesting... when I took the AC exam back in October last year it was 4 sections. Did they add back the personality portion or was it something else? 

On 4/24/2024 at 7:44 PM, TunnelVision22 said:

It was still there…I guess it’s called an aptitude test

If you mean the mechanical aptitude test no that's been around and is different from the personality test. Apparently, it seems the mechanical aptitude has been doing people in, but I'm trying to figure out what that fifth section is, because it's new to me :huh: