Failed Assistant Conductor Exam. Moving On In Hopes Of Getting Called For Ticket Clerk or Terminal Attendant

You should’ve at least applied for NYCT conductor and station agent. Therefore you would have somewhere to go later on. You shouldn’t have rested your whole hands just on MNRR or LIRR.

On 4/22/2024 at 9:48 PM, 2ride said:

You should’ve at least applied for NYCT conductor and station agent. Therefore you would have somewhere to go later on. You shouldn’t have rested your whole hands just on MNRR or LIRR.

Bingo never put all of ones eggs in one basket especially with anything transit related...

40 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

Bingo never put all of ones eggs in one basket especially with anything transit related...

Yes, especially the fact that railroads have a moronic communication system, they ain’t easy to deal with 

I agree with everything said thus far, but I will say if you had your heart set on working for Metro North, don't just apply for conductor just "get your foot into the door" by any means and make your way there as an internal. It's cliche, but your odds of becoming a conductor are increased by breaking in as a coach cleaner, custodian, clerk, ticket seller, ambassador, electrician etc. Heck, don't limit yourself to just MNR for that matter, apply, apply, apply to as much as you can on that MTA Careers page.

13 minutes ago, AfroG97 said:

I agree with everything said thus far, but I will say if you had your heart set on working for Metro North, don't just apply for conductor just "get your foot into the door" by any means and make your way there as an internal. It's cliche, but your odds of becoming a conductor are increased by breaking in as a coach cleaner, custodian, clerk, ticket seller, ambassador, electrician etc. Heck, don't limit yourself to just MNR for that matter, apply, apply, apply to as much as you can on that MTA Careers page.

Last time I took the test for custodian, the recruiter was suppose to schedule an interview with me as it was part of our process, but she never did even though I sent her many emails about it and she kept forgetting. She started doing her job once I put in a BSC complaint. These people who don’t work in transit don’t really have a good history of not discriminating their applicants. 

I'm sorry you went through that 2ride, and I can't really speak on the discriminating against applicants but neither Metro North nor LIRR (or Transit for that matter) handle the hiring process anymore, the BSC mostly does. And to that end, the BSC is pretty bad collectively in getting things done right or on time. A couple months back I took the LE exam for Metro North, and a couple of applicants got screwed over by the BSC because they weren't sent the LE Key Responsibilities form, a form that we all needed to complete to be able to continue on with the process. They also failed to send it to me initially but I was able to put constant pressure on them via a barrage of emails and phone calls until they sent it to me prior to the exam. Some of my fellow test takers weren't so fortunate...

10 hours ago, AfroG97 said:

I'm sorry you went through that 2ride, and I can't really speak on the discriminating against applicants but neither Metro North nor LIRR (or Transit for that matter) handle the hiring process anymore, the BSC mostly does. And to that end, the BSC is pretty bad collectively in getting things done right or on time. A couple months back I took the LE exam for Metro North, and a couple of applicants got screwed over by the BSC because they weren't sent the LE Key Responsibilities form, a form that we all needed to complete to be able to continue on with the process. They also failed to send it to me initially but I was able to put constant pressure on them via a barrage of emails and phone calls until they sent it to me prior to the exam. Some of my fellow test takers weren't so fortunate...

Maybe if they made mnrr and LIRR civil service, no one would have to go through this problem. The playing field becomes more fair.

I doubt that's even possible, I believe MNR/LIRR are not civil service because they are governed by the FRA and its regulations. Also while the city jobs get NYCERS, the railroads get RRB. And even in the Transit umbrella, MABSTOA and MTA Bus aren't even civil service themselves. In any case, I think it's harder to get into Transit than it is to get into the railroads, especially now. It took me approximately 7 months to be hired by MNR from application date to orientation date, while on the flip side, it always seem that people wait for years and years to get called to back for Transit on those O/C exams, especially for RTO positions. Of course, I am only speaking on my experience and I very well may have been an outlier.

On 4/27/2024 at 11:48 AM, 2ride said:

Maybe if they made mnrr and LIRR civil service, no one would have to go through this problem. The playing field becomes more fair.

Civil Service it would take year maybe two three or four depending on the need...

It took them a year to call me because of the need in 2001 for Train Operator.

Some folks it has taken them years to get called.