Question about subway car mechanic

NYtransit

I have a question regarding the position of a subway car mechanic or a car inspector. 
On the mta website it says you need :

Two years of full-time experience as a journey-level mechanic  performing troubleshooting, repair and maintenance of large heavy duty electromechanical, electric or electronic equipment and machinery.

PLUS two additional years as an electrical/electronic/electro-mechanical helper OR a degree in electrical/electronic/electromechanical technology.

Does this mean if I have a degree in the field, I wont need work experience? Or I have to get 2 years full time experience? Its kind of a bummer since I though after you receive your degree it can count as full time experience.

Yes and no. You won't need work experience as a helper if you got a degree in that field of study. However, you still need two years of experience as a journey-level mechanic because there are two requirements for this position (the second one gives you two choices).

Journey-level should refer to a journeyman, which is someone who completes an apprenticeship. If that's the case you also have to add the time spent in an apprenticeship.

It definitely shouldn't count as full-time experience, because getting an education and work experience are two different things. Strictly speaking, an educational institution (i.e. college, technical school) will give you the education that will prepare you for a career in a specific field. It is not considered work experience, where you get the experience from working in a related field (i.e. internship) and, if you already got the education, apply what you learned to it. However, there are cases where you will get some work experience along with your education, so I don't know if that will count towards the second requirement.

Archived