How did the IRT/IND/BMT treat workers?

There's plenty you can find on the IRT and how it treated its workers but what of the BRT/BMT and the City?

Mayor John Hylan was a former BMT/BRT worker who was so upset with it that he made the city build its own competing subway, so there's that.

There's plenty you can find on the IRT and how it treated its workers but what of the BRT/BMT and the City?

Although it's obviously biased I'd suggest Googling the TWU and/or TWU Local 100 and take it from there. You might also try Michael J. Quill . Carry on.

I recommend Joshua Freeman's 1989 book, "In Transit: The Transport Workers Union in New York City, 1933-1966." It's been an age since I read it, but these items stood out:

1) Maybe about 1930, the Third Avenue Railway System motormen were still working seven days a week.

2) The secret cell system of an Irish political society dovetailed neatly with the communist method of infiltrating labor unions, so the union membership did not know who was really calling the shots.

3) The obnoxious refusal of Fifth Avenue Coach drivers and conductors to let any black be hired became a Quill problem, as the communists were trying to get black sympathy in Harlem.

---

(Of course my memory of the book's narrative could be faulty, but it is an excellent work.)

Archived