Second Avenue Subway setback: 2017

Harry

I could be wrong but I don't believe the City of New York was as populous as it was today in regards to people per square feet. I believe it was also done with open cut and cover, compared to using a tunnel boring machine since they can't use the older construction techniques.

Well, the population figures of Manhattan itself were:

1900: 1,850,093 (when the original stations were built 1900-1904)

1910: 2,331,542 (when "dual contracts" stations were built 1911-1918)

But of course they had the els on 2nd and 3rd Aves. at a time when almost nobody drives and hardly any vehicular traffic.

But if they planned well enough, they could have just shut down the whole section of 2nd Ave. between 96 St. and perhaps 63 St. for like a year or two just to get all the tunnels and station shells built.

There is a discrepancy here. The (T) opening (implying that at least Phase III is done) is not scheduled to open in 2016 (and now 2017). That is phase I of the SAS, just the extension of the (Q) to 96th street, to open in 2016 (and now 2017). I honestly believe we won't see Phase IV done until at least 2050, and that's being optimistic.

It's really pathetic how slow this is going.

Most of the IND: built in 7-8 years

Contract I IRT: 3.5 years

BMT Broadway line: 6-7 years.

Keep in mind they also had utilities to deal with, and they relatively primitive tools compared to today. It's in excusable. In other states it doesn't take this long for subway expansion.

Archived