GP40FH-2's Get 'em while they're still here!

rzitarosa

With ALP-46's moving down to become regular inhabitants of the NJCL and even numbers of the once-ubiquitous F40PH-2CATs getting lean, it was good to see GP40FH-2 #4142 shoving hard on the end of a 6-car train yesterday afternoon (Labor Day) in Point Pleasant Beach as well as leaving Bay Head (again pushing!) after twilight tonight.

Obviously, they are getting what life is left out of this venerable machine, but she is up to the task. As of June, #4138, 4139,4141 and 4142 were still "active."

With fuel cheaper and these units' wheelsets, traction motors, prime movers and main generators still in reasonably good shape, it is obvious that NJ Transit is going to get their money's worth out of the MK conversions which appeared in the mid-late 1980's to help kill off the last of the old E8's.

Beware, the photo ops cannot last much longer. Surely each of these units are one major failure away from being sidelined and leased/sold to some motive-power-starved commuter authority. Even FREIGHT operations have expressed interest in these units (former freight engines all!) as they are in much better condition than many "Geeps" their age.

ALP 46's only go as far as Long Branch...I think your talking about the PL42AC. Don't worry the remaining FH's are fine for now. Besides MN just rebuilt theirs so you will always be able to get you FH photos as the MN units show up on everything out of Hoboken less NJCL trains unless there really is a problem. The only transit unit that would be in danger but seems to have found a job with the Aqua Track is 4139 as the HEP is dead.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

4142 at hoboken last thurs mid-day. Was out unhooked in the yard.

PATH/:me:/HBLR have good yard views at MMC & hoboken respectively. MNRR cats are hard to find, but the FH-2's are usually on the point with platformed train or in the yard, usually waiting for sand or fuel. Thursday i saw 2 MNRR hooked to a hood unit cat.

- A

Of the 4 left, I'm missing the 4139 for my collection.

I have tons of 4141 and some 4138, i'm just not up that way enough to get the others. I will be FH-2 hunting this thursday & friday though up at hoboken & keeping an eye out on PATH.

- A

4136 is not at the MMC to the best of my knowledge, according to the ETT there are only 4 and it lists 4400 as the lead ALP unit and thats dead at the MMC so if 4136 was still there it would still be listed.

I just saw 4600 recently, I may have even been on a train being pushed by it, all i know is i saw it not too long ago on the :nec:. When did it die?:confused::cry:

- A

• 3 weeks later...

The GP40FH-2's disappeared from the Bay Head lineup around November 1st. #4139, #4141 and #4142 were still making appearances on regular trains thru September and October. NEWER power is making quite an inroad at Bay Head...even the nearly 30-40 year presence of "straight" GP40 and F40 "faces" has become noticeably "thinner."

The GP40FH-2's were already a "rare" breed. Purchased as rebuilt "stop gaps" to help kill off the last of the E-Units and U-boats, they gave a good twenty years of service (though operating personnel never had any particular fondness for them.)

#4130-4135 have been given rather expensive "conversions" to high-tech switch engines. #4136 is apparently a "parts hulk" somewhere at the MMC.

#4137, 4140, 4143 and 4144 are on lease to Canadian transit authorities and it appears that #4138-4139 and #4141-4142 are either doing duty as "protection power" or "stored serviceable" or otherwise slated for lease/sale/cannibalization or scrapping.

Rick

I've seen them at the MMC several times and in hoboken at least once. I think they are being kept with ~1200 gallons fuel as a max vs topping it off to save money. Often trains they come in with are left platformed, while the loco goes off & does other stuff.

They may be being stored for the winter "just in case" the HEP fails (again) if they have indeed been pulled from active service. I will keep my eyes peeled while riding PATH this week, and will try to hit up hoboken at least once, will ride HBLR to get a better view of the yards.

I have noticed more PL42AC and cats coming in from bay head vs before when it was primarily cats and FH-2 with the occasional PH-2A/B.

On a side note, which locos are the hood units with the cat HEP? I see them very often on early hoboken bound bay head trains, and here and there on the :rvl: over the past few years. In fact, one time i saw one doubled up with a PL42AC, which i think was having issues. I think i have a photo of that. If i find i will post.

- A

There is a Multilevel set now running on a BH-HOB train, It sometimes makes apperances on the shuttle.

PL42AC's will be down there from now on, it was only a matter of time. There is still a good amount of Geeps down there as well along with F40's. I kind of have to laugh at all the buffs who are now complaining about the geeps going after they were all excited about the PL42's.

Getting back on the FH's I would expect when transit has no use for them they are given to MN and rebuilt for WOH service just like a bunch of Transit F40's have been sold the MN already.

• 1 month later...
The GP40FH-2's disappeared from the Bay Head lineup around November 1st. #4139, #4141 and #4142 were still making appearances on regular trains thru September and October. NEWER power is making quite an inroad at Bay Head...even the nearly 30-40 year presence of "straight" GP40 and F40 "faces" has become noticeably "thinner."

The GP40FH-2's were already a "rare" breed. Purchased as rebuilt "stop gaps" to help kill off the last of the E-Units and U-boats, they gave a good twenty years of service (though operating personnel never had any particular fondness for them.)

#4130-4135 have been given rather expensive "conversions" to high-tech switch engines. #4136 is apparently a "parts hulk" somewhere at the MMC.

#4137, 4140, 4143 and 4144 are on lease to Canadian transit authorities and it appears that #4138-4139 and #4141-4142 are either doing duty as "protection power" or "stored serviceable" or otherwise slated for lease/sale/cannibalization or scrapping.

Rick

I saw 4138 & 4141 today on pax moves at hoboken. One was on track 1 assigned to a :mb: line train (not port jervis), not sure about the other as i was on HBLR when it pulled in. Got photos & vid of 4138.

- A

Archived