Conductor for LIRR

armax1980

How does one get a job as a conductor for the LIRR? They seem be make a lot more money than any one else. They seem to start at $73k and max out at around $300k a year!!!!

I asked a track worker (line man) the other day the same question and he told me that they hire within the lirr, so i dont know if he's 100%

I asked a track worker (line man) the other day the same question and he told me that they hire within the lirr, so i dont know if he's 100%

They recruit for assistant conductors from the street.The only problem is your better off knowing someone who works there and who can put your resume on the right desk.

250k ??Where did you get that number?:confused:

Check out http://seethroughny.net/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx you can find out how much people make state/city jobs. You can even find out how much your co-worker is making by typing in their names. I'm very surprise at how many LIRR people from conductors to car inspectors are making more money than most NYCTA managers.

Check out http://seethroughny.net/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx you can find out how much people make state/city jobs. You can even find out how much your co-worker is making by typing in their names. I'm very surprise at how many LIRR people from conductors to car inspectors are making more money than most NYCTA managers.

Do they make more money then Transit of course they do. Even though they are under that so called MTA umbrella ,you have to remember they are run differently.Different unions,managers, rules, pensions the whole nine.MTA is just a shell or a label ,the truth is LIRR and MNRR is run privately. I know a handful of conductors from the LIRR with some time under their belt and they are not making 250k.With the roster number the conductors and the assistant conductors have that's in impossible now .There isn't enough OT for that sum.You can make a great living and make over 100k easily but 250k is reaching these days. The only crafts that might close are Engineers and Machinists.

That's right.

Do many asst. conductors start off as CAMs?

I'm going to tell you like so many who work for the LIRR told me. Just get in.

Coach appearance maintainer ,track worker ,ticket clerk whatever. Once your in ,it makes it that much easier to go into whatever craft you want to go. A buddy of mine who also does part time at my job started off as a coach cleaner,now he is in his last phase of training to become a Engineer.That's rare but if you want it you can get it.But just get in.

And to answer your question . You start off as a assistant conductor and then you have to pass a test to become a certified conductor. Assistant conductors most of the time are brakeman in the crews.

Archived