Accessibility tips?

auronrenouille

I'll be traveling back to NYC in a couple of weeks (lived in Manhattan for a summer and have traveled there too many times to count). I'll be flying into JFK (I've normally done Amtrak to NY Penn, but I'm a little too far away for that this time ;p).

I'm familiar somewhat with the general issues in Manhattan (for instance - the Downtown (F) platform at 63rd St has a dangerously steep step from platform to train, and I need a running start to get on the train), but this time I'll be staying with friends out in Brooklyn, along the Franklin Avenue (S) between the (C) and the (Q)(:P. My current plan is to take the (A) from JFK to Utica, and make a same-platform transfer to the (C). Will this work? Is there a better method?

Secondly, what other tips should I be aware of? Last time I was in NYC, some bum had helpfully set the GCT elevator on fire down to the Lex IRT platform, which was unexpected and kind of threw a wrench in things. I'm in a manual wheelchair and am pretty athletic, so the only thing that can really screw me up is multiple steps or dangerous inclines.

If you're flying into JFK then take the Airtrain. It's a lightrail that connects to the (E) and LIRR at Jamaica Station. The subway elevators break down often. Take the LIRR to Penn Station. You'll be in the heart of midtown. From there you can take the local buses to your destination (all buses are accessible).

I'm familiar with the AirTrain, and also still have the elevator hotline programmed into my cell phone (I used to live in NYC), but my destination is in Brooklyn just off the (C), so I was looking for tips to get there in specific (namely, is Utica a good place to transfer from the (A) to (C) without needing to change platform) as well as to find out if there's any construction or other issues that aren't readily apparent from mta.info, you may want to take another look at my post. Thanks for the tip though :).

You can transfer from the (A) to the (C) at Euclid Avenue, Broadway Junction or Utica Avenue (in that order when you are on a northbound (A) from Howard Beach-JFK); all of these are across the platform. Euclid Avenue might be easiest for you, since it is the ©'s terminal and there will always be a (C) waiting across the platform when the (A) rolls in, giving you plenty of time to cross and get on board.

I am not sure about your transfer from the (C) to the (S) at Franklin Avenue. Last time I was there, I took the stairs down from the (S) platform to the southbound (C) platform; however, I am sure there is an elevator. I am not sure about how to get from the northbound platform to the elevator. If it isn't possible to access the elevator from the northbound platform, you will have an issue. In that case, you may have to take the (A) all the way to High St-Brooklyn Bridge before transferring across the platform for the (C) going in the other direction.

I'll try finding out and letting you know. Hope you enjoy your time in NYC.

I may have to make this a seperate post if it gets lost in the shuffle, but...

The tunnel between the Port Authority/42nd St station on the (A)(C)(E), is there a wheelchair-accessible underground transfer to the (1)(2)(3)(N)(Q)(R)(W)(7)(S) at Times Square/7th Ave? The last time I tried to find it was 1am after 4th of July fireworks, and I simply cannot recall whether I actually found it or simply went upstairs and walked down 42nd, but I tend to think I actually found a barrier-free way to do it w/ my Autogate card. Having said that, to my memory, there really aren't any other accessible transfers between the (A)(C)(E) and in particular the (N)(Q)(R)(W)(7)(S). I don't use the (1)(2)(3) too often due to overall inaccessibility in Manhattan, although I see that there's a couple newly-accessible stations on the UWS on the IRT, that'll be nice

If it matters, I'm aware that MTA discourages use of the Times Square (S) by wheelchair users because of the wide platform gap at 42nd Street, but I'm athetlic enough to bridge it safely with a running start, and to my memory the GCT side of the (S) is barrier-free for wheelchair users, although I know MTA discourages it because of the platform gap at Times Square.

When I lived in NYC back in '02, Times Sqare was simply inaccessible, so its accessibility is a real revolution for wheelchair users, but I still need to master How Things Work at that station...

Anyhow, are there any Neat Tricks for Times Square and 42nd St/Port Authority that I can keep in mind? (for instance, I often used the PATH elevator at 33rd St to gain access to the (N)(Q)(R)(W) at 34th St/Herald Square if the MTA elevator was on the fritz).

(bizarre aside: am I the only one who has noticed that the 33rd St PATH elevator smells like crayons, all through 2002-2006? Does it still smell like crayons? I'm used to much worse odors than that in MTA elevators, particularly at the Union Square elevator, which smelled of things much more unfortunate than crayons...)

mta.info indicates that the transfer between the (C) and (S) is accessible, so if it's actually not, that would be surprising news. That definitely answers my question though, thank you.

There must be a crossover or crossunder that connects the northbound (C) platform with the mezzanine that has the elevator to get to the (S) train's track. You should have no problems at all.

Manhattan bound (C) to Prospect Pk. bound (S).....'

elevator at back of Franklin Av station (C), straight tunnel into building, make immediate left as soon as you get in, there's elevator to the (S) platform.

-rr4567 (JFK)

Archived