South Ferry Station

Grand Concourse

Great pics, I gotta hit up New South Ferry before it closes...;) lol

Personally I think almsot everything the MTA has done recently or is constructing(New SF, SAS, East Side Access, 7 Line Extension, R160s, Whoring out the Grand Central Shuttle with ads, etc) is just a way for the MTA to show off to tourists and promote use of the subway to them, but thats another story for another board lol. Anyway New SF was supposedly built to improve the headways and increase platform capacity, and I guess the crews were tired of tourists pulling the e-brake because they missed Old SF because they were in the 8th car lol. But, riding the 1 after the opening of the new station...I haven't really seen an increase in headways, and according to cdi919 theyre about to close a station they spent millions building. The MTA seems to think about the visual more than the behind the scenes stuff(i.e the 160s again;nice train on the outside, bugs on the inside).

The station looks nice but bland and lacking any real design but then again, I'm not an architect so, what can I do?

Thanks!:tup: And lol!

Yeah I too did not feel the $400+mil spent on this station was worth it. As old as the loop station was, it at least worked fine and the train ran thru it like a normal stop [abit slowly]. The new terminal has stubs that ends just beyond the platform so the train has to slow down and of course eventually reverse back.

I totally agree about this just 'showing off' for the tourists. Even the old station had one good thing being it was actually indoors and you didn't have to walk a few feet in the open to get to the ferry. They botched it by having a pointless entrance that's not even connected to the terminal itself.

The only good thing is the transfer to the R/W, which could've just been built at Rector St, one station north.

MTA, wasting money :tdown:

Thanks!:tup: And lol!

Yeah I too did not feel the $400+mil spent on this station was worth it. As old as the loop station was, it at least worked fine and the train ran thru it like a normal stop [abit slowly]. The new terminal has stubs that ends just beyond the platform so the train has to slow down and of course eventually reverse back.

I totally agree about this just 'showing off' for the tourists. Even the old station had one good thing being it was actually indoors and you didn't have to walk a few feet in the open to get to the ferry. They botched it by having a pointless entrance that's not even connected to the terminal itself.

The only good thing is the transfer to the R/W, which could've just been built at Rector St, one station north.

MTA, wasting money :tdown:

Station sucks, but nice place for photos I'm going there today lol

Archived