B/O In Accident 1st Day After Suspension - Pedestrian Dies

EE Broadway Local

"New York City Bus Driver Ticketed In Pesdestrian Fatality"

Journal-News November 13,2009

MAMARONECK, N.Y. - "Mr. Seth Kahn was a 22 year old studying to be a toy designer when a New York City bus mowed him down on the (very first) day its' driver returned from a texting-while-driving suspension.

This week New York City police gave Mr. Jeremy Philhower, 39, a traffic summons charging him with failing to yield to a pedestrian; he is not likely to get jail time for killing Mr. Kahn, a 2004 graduate of Mamaroneck High School on November 4th, said William Winning, a spokesman for the New York Police Department.

'The investigation was handled by our accident investigation section and they issued the summons', Mr. Winning said. 'It was their investigation and that's what they thought it was fitting.

Mrs. Ruth Marks, Mr. Kahn's grandmother, declined to talk about the incident Thursday, saying the family was distraught and upset over the news. Mr. kahn is survived by his mother, Mrs. Debbie Marks-Kahn and father, Harold Kahn. His funeral was held Sunday at Temple Israel of New Rochelle.

According to police, Mr. Philhower was driving a bus in Manhattan on November 4th and was turning left onto Ninth Avenue from 53rd Street. Mr. Kahn was crossing the street about the same time and hit by the back left wheels of the bus, police said. Police said they believe both Mr. Philhower had a green light and Mr. Kahn was crossing with a walk signal.

Mr. Philhower, an employee with New York City Transit for ten years could not be reached for comment at his Staten Island home. According to the state Department Of Motor Vehicles, he has a clean driving record.

The driver (of the bus) was coming off a suspension for texting-while-driving given to him by his superiors at NYC Transit earlier this year. According to the New York Daily News, Mr. Philhower used his cell phone to update his Facebook page with status messages such as 'Thinking about how how many people I want to kill today, including myself' and 'I hate these people. I want to kick the (expletive) out of them.'"

The Full Story Is Here At This Link:

http://www.lohud.com/article/2009911130353

Archived