MTA robs Island of Railway free ride

LRG

Yo, I ruined this thread.

Julio, would you have rather I used "zapato" instead of bota? I figured that was closer to my intended meaning. "Don't eff with people from the Sneaker" makes it sound as if I was doing some weird Nike commercial.

usi 'google translate' eh? :)

se abitassero nella questa zona, dovrebbero pagare.

see imperfect subjunctive & conditional moods.

Oops, I forgot what tense to use. I don't use Google translator, though. I'm learning Italian at my school. They also teach Spanish, French, and Chinese.

heh heh it happens. i learned italian in high school as well, was either italian or spanish. i made the same mistakes when i was first learning, and though i'm far from fluent it is a fun language to use. now in college i'm taking german, which, i have to say, i don't enjoy as much as italian, but it is interesting.

was thinking about chinese or japanese but, in the case of chinese, i didn't want to be the token white guy. as far as japanese: i didn't want to be in a class full of weird white kids who like anime.

i wouldn't say it was harder but it requires attention to detail, especially when dealing with the four cases (nominative, accusative, dative & genitive). whereas english and italian will use a preposition or marker, german modifies the noun itself. also, word order is a bit strange in german when using one of the modal verbs. ex:

ich möchte zu Hause gehen.

I would like to go home. -> translated literally: i would like to home to go.

in english, italian and german, the auxiliary/modal verb is always first, however the standard in german is to place the main verb last. italian is similar to english in this regard:

potrei andare alla mia casa.

I would like to go home. -> translated literally: i would like to go to my house.

in the case of chinese, i didn't want to be the token white guy. as far as japanese: i didn't want to be in a class full of weird white kids who like anime.

lol! Not that there's anything wrong with that though :)

As far as language classes goes - meh, I hate them. I'd rather not take them if I can. I took 4 years of spanish in hs, not one of my better subjects.

i wouldn't say it was harder but it requires attention to detail, especially when dealing with the four cases (nominative, accusative, dative & genitive). whereas english and italian will use a preposition or marker, german modifies the noun itself. also, word order is a bit strange in german when using one of the modal verbs. ex:

ich möchte zu Hause gehen.

I would like to go home. -> translated literally: i would like to home to go.

in english, italian and german, the auxiliary/modal verb is always first, however the standard in german is to place the main verb last. italian is similar to english in this regard:

potrei andare alla mia casa.

I would like to go home. -> translated literally: i would like to go to my house.

Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and French are Romantic languages, derived from the Roman Empire having spread their Latin tongue throughout Europe during their conquest of that continent. Of course, they also have their differences due mainly to other languages spoken before and after Roman expansion.

The English language, although sharing similar words as the aforementioned languages, is a Germanic language. For those who weren't aware, languages are related by their similarities in grammar rather than their words.

I'm starting another thread about this in the Off-Topic forum because I'm looking for feedback on a question and I encourage members to please lend me their input. Thanks.

you're certainly 100% correct, rutgers; i avoided talking about romance languages in general just because goji asked about english, german and italian specifically.

From what I understand, if a person who never hear or spoke any language were to learn one language from scratch, English is one of the hardest due to its pronunciations and grammatical rules, changes and exceptions.

Archived