What went wrong? MTA fail to plan out this blizzard 2010

w8Hou

In this diaster, I think the (MTA) employees did a good job (not great)under the circumstances with the lack of help from DSNY. However as i stated before, Chairman Walder dropped the ball when buses and subways was still running on Sunday Night/Monday Early AM. He put the lives of (MTA) workers and riders at stake. The riders need to get to their location is not valid here, better to be stuck at a station than stuck on trains w/o no heat or bathrooms.

Most of the blame IMO however should go to DSNY workers and City Hall. The DSNY workers picked the wrong time to stage a 'slow down'.' I also Mayor Bloomberg IMO trying to penny pinch on snow removal when there are other ways to save money in this fiscal crisis. Also some heat to some New Yorkers who were foolishly enough to drive at height of storm.

If this was a minor snowstorm I could understand the work slow down more.

Most of the blame IMO however should go to DSNY workers and City Hall. The DSNY workers picked the wrong time to stage a 'slow down'.' I also Mayor Bloomberg IMO trying to penny pinch on snow removal when there are other ways to save money in this fiscal crisis. Also some heat to some New Yorkers who were foolishly enough to drive at height of storm.

If this was a minor snowstorm I could understand the work slow down more.

There are several to blame here:

NYCT Buses shouldn't be blamed for everything, it's DSNY that failed to deliver what bus managers expected. Did we ever have to shut down the bus system due to snow? Not in recent memory. Delays/detours, yes, but shutdowns and thousands of stuck buses?

NYCS, on the other hand, should really start to consider the Weather Plans on weekends as well as weekdays. Had a blizzard of this severity occurred on a weekday in January, the service would have gotten normal much, much faster.

Jay Walder shouldn't be blamed for anything, while he ordered the overtime cutting, it wasn't him who decided exactly who couldn't work overtime. Even in the beginning he admitted that some overtime is necessary for a transit agency this size.

Helena Williams should be blamed for putting the PR/image first: Don't make promises that the railroad can't deliver. If the railroad needs to say "No service for today's rush hour", do that. Don't claim a weekend schedule when almost no trains will run.

Replies in red to Amtrak.

NYCT Buses shouldn't be blamed for everything, it's DSNY that failed to deliver what bus managers expected. Did we ever have to shut down the bus system due to snow? Not in recent memory. Delays/detours, yes, but shutdowns and thousands of stuck buses?

If I remember correctly (NYCT) Buses was suspeneded for a couple of hours at height of Jan. 1996 Blizzard.

NYCS, on the other hand, should really start to consider the Weather Plans on weekends as well as weekdays. Had a blizzard of this severity occurred on a weekday in January, the service would have gotten normal much, much faster.

That I agree with you. The Union and DSNY/City Hall needs to adjust their contract to have 'weather plans' for handling blizzards/North'easter even if the storms occurs on a weekend or major holiday like Christmas.

Jay Walder shouldn't be blamed for anything, while he ordered the overtime cutting, it wasn't him who decided exactly who couldn't work overtime. Even in the beginning he admitted that some overtime is necessary for a transit agency this size.

If you read my comments above I stated most of the blame IMO goes to the Mayor/City Hall and DSNY. However i still stand by my view that Chairman Walder when hundreds maybe thousands of (NYCT) (MTA) buses were stuck at height of storm he should had the buses and subways to outdoor els stations be suspened until the last snowfall dropped. You putting lives of (MTA) workers and even riders at stake. Besides the buses were not running anyhow..

Helena Williams should be blamed for putting the PR/image first: Don't make promises that the railroad can't deliver. If the railroad needs to say "No service for today's rush hour", do that. Don't claim a weekend schedule when almost no trains will run.

On this one, The LIRR Boss I agree did dropped the ball. Williams should have been honest in stating that on Monday right after the storm that they would 'limited service systemwide.'

NYCT Buses shouldn't be blamed for everything, it's DSNY that failed to deliver what bus managers expected. Did we ever have to shut down the bus system due to snow? Not in recent memory. Delays/detours, yes, but shutdowns and thousands of stuck buses?[/Quote]

Actually, MTA's NYCT Department of Buses head is to be blame. WHY?

" "It was a disaster," one transit supervisor said of the stranded buses, blaming poor planning and the decision to keep sending buses out without tire chains well after storm started."

MTA management = FAILED

NYCS, on the other hand, should really start to consider the Weather Plans on weekends as well as weekdays. Had a blizzard of this severity occurred on a weekday in January, the service would have gotten normal much, much faster.[/Quote]

I agree, MTA management = FAILED

Jay Walder shouldn't be blamed for anything, while he ordered the overtime cutting, it wasn't him who decided exactly who couldn't work overtime. Even in the beginning he admitted that some overtime is necessary for a transit agency this size.[/Quote]

I completely disagree, Jay Waldo is a incompetent CEO who really needs to go. He made a lot of bad decisions in this snow storm and also MTA's business activities. He really is a lost touch.

MTA management = FAILED

I agree. Helena Williams makes LIRR a really a laughing stock across the country.

MTA management = FAILED

Archived