car designs

Bus Guy

That was just a random thought and was the only thing I had on my mind. The design on those three car classes goes back to the BMT Multis. Up until the R10s that design was only used three times and that was it. They do look classic even though the design itself wasn't used that much. Another idea could be the deckroof design used on the Hi-Vs, SIRT ME-1s, BMT Standards, and the Arnines.

I can relate to what you're talking about. The R15s were the first car type to use the round turtle-back style roof, compared to the deckroof design used in the cars before. Personally I like the deckroof design but there's no way that's ever making a comeback.

It's called evolution. There's always going to be design changes. The successor to the R160 will probably look very different.

I live in MD and the design of Metrorail cars haven't changed much since the system's inception in 1976. Some things have evolved over time, but the average Metrorail rider (non-railfan) probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference if looking from the outside.

Metro decided to go with a radically different external design for the 7000s (more like the PA-5s) and some people are actually mad about it. I'm glad they decided to make a change. A big reason why I like the MTA is the diversity in its rolling stock.

Most of the 7000 series changes are aesthetic, not functional. Until Metro decides to scrap its poor seating arrangement and widen the doors (or add another per side), it's basically a change from red, white, and blue to silver and purple with curvier handrails.

Onto NYC, I don't really have an issue with the newer cars. I love FIND, automated announcements, and the stainless steel design. At times, the dichotomy between new trains and old stations is quite intriguing, very New York City. I cringe whenever I have to use the A or C and get stuck on an old, sometimes creepy train.

I'm not bashing R110As, R110Bs, R142s, R143s, or R160s, but I would say these subway cars were interesting in their design:

1) R40 Slant: Slanted end and large railfan window

2) R11/R34: Half flat Stainless Steel. half corrugated Stainless Steel sides; Round porthole railfan window; four small round door windows; windows were divided in half by a Stainless Steel "bar"

2) R15: Round porthole railfan window; four small round door windows; arch roof

3) R16, R17: Round porthole railfan window

4) R32 Brightliner: Corrugated Stainless Steel sides; Original doors were blue

5) R38: Half flat Stainless Steel, half corrugated Stainless Steel sides

6) R36 WF: Large European-Style Windows

7) R1-R9: Overall classic design with a clerestory roof

8) I.R.T. Deckroof: These I.R.T. subway cars resembled a trolley car in design

Archived