Manual Door Controls?

DJ MC

I find that as a pretty interesting feature on the old Hi-Vs.

The Hi-Vs in their entirety are very interesting cars. My personal favorite is 3662 (for obvious reasons.)

I'd say throw your weight into it, but at 100lbs there's noting to throw.

Got any sandbags that I can hang from my belt?

How were they operated on the Hi-Vs? And wasn't two conductors required? I suppose the reason Hi-Vs with manual door controls were used into the 1950s was because the IRT platforms back then were too short to platform ten car trains until the arrival of the R17/21/22 cars from 1955-1958 and the eventual lengthening of platforms?

The Hi-V's as built featured what were known as "Armstrong" levers between the cars. In the photo of the Hi-V someone posted you can see the levers sticking out of the large boxes located on the ends of the car. Each car had a conductor, or trainman, when the IRT cars were introduced. Each conductor stood between cars in stations, similar to R1-9 equipment, and operated the levers manually by applying a good deal of force to move the levers. They were not easy to move. When moved the end doors would swing (not slide) open.

When the center doors were added in to all of the IRT cars circa 1910, I remember there was a complication. I may have to look up a few things to get specifics but to the best of the knowledge that is on hand in my head right now, on all Hi-V cars the center doors were pneumatic (like a Lo-V) and operated from between cars also. The already existing Hi-V cars were re-wired to accommodate this. Center doors were sliding, unlike the end doors.

During the cars' life, some Hi-V's were refitted for Multiple Unit Door Control (door control from a single point on the train, as on all subway trains today) while others were not. It is important to note the cars that were refitted for MUDC were NOT known as the "MUDC cars" - those were cars of the Manhattan elevated division. Rather they were "MUDC equipped Hi-Vs".

The Hi-Vs that got the MUDC modification received ALL sliding doors controlled pneumatically from between cars.

The Hi-Vs that did not retained the "Armstrong" swing door arrangement with the center sliding pneumatic doors and trainmen for every car.

The NYCBOT/NYCTA wanted very badly to get rid of the Hi-Vs in the 1950s because when they bridged power off sections of third rail, endangering work crews. The high voltage jumpers between cars were also hazardous (these cars were before couplers with electric portions) so for these two reasons, they wanted them out. That's why the R orders of the 1950s were spaced so closely together, to replace this equipment.

Archived