My new fantasy 2011 subway map

E Local

if these were ever implemented they would wipe out the need for the SI ferry almost 100% (which me and most other people from SI would love) but what would happen if you need to evacuate the train in the middle of the harbor? or what about a fire? i like the idea of extending the subway to SI but figuring out the logistics alone would put this over budget. Remember that this is 21st century NYC when you plan massive public infrastructure you not only have to think of the standpoint of the architect but also from the standpoint of the FDNY, NYPD, PAPD, OEM and pretty much everyone else that would respond in a SHTF scenario.

if these were ever implemented they would wipe out the need for the SI ferry almost 100% (which me and most other people from SI would love) but what would happen if you need to evacuate the train in the middle of the harbor? or what about a fire? i like the idea of extending the subway to SI but figuring out the logistics alone would put this over budget. Remember that this is 21st century NYC when you plan massive public infrastructure you not only have to think of the standpoint of the architect but also from the standpoint of the FDNY, NYPD, PAPD, OEM and pretty much everyone else that would respond in a SHTF scenario.

All I can think of is governor's island. Its western shore is more or less in line with a hypothetical straight line between st george and whitehall.

All I can think of is governor's island. Its western shore is more or less in line with a hypothetical straight line between st george and whitehall.

There have also been proposals that have a subway line to SI going under the Jersey City and Bayonne coast (but without stops) to keep costs lower (minimal underwater construction). One of the original proposals from the 20s of a line to SI had that as one of the alignments.

Archived