NYPD stepping up presence in subway stations

Trainspotter

NYPD stepping up presence in subway stations

Straphangers now have an extra layer of security -- police officers armed with MP5 submachine guns and accompanied by bomb-sniffing dogs.

Five or six teams -- six police officers and a dog -- each day will patrol heavily used subway stations and lines as part of Operation TORCH, or Transit Operational Response With Canine and Heavy Weapons.

"We're doing everything that we reasonably can to prevent an attack," Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

This is not the first time subway riders have seen this show of force, but in the past such patrols were in place only on days when there was suspicion that terrorists might strike.

Operation TORCH will be in place each day, paid for by the Department of Homeland Security, which in February announced it was giving the city $151 million to help protect against a terrorist attack.

The NYPD already has similar patrols above ground. The Hercules teams routinely patrol near landmark buildings and in heavily trafficked parts of the city, such as by Wall Street and the Empire State Building. Kelly will testify in Brooklyn Friday at a Homeland Security hearing on transit safety.

Just so you all know (in case you don't), you should not even look at the dogs let alone approach or try to pet them, just pretend they don't even exist & let them do their job. If you are scared of dogs just keep totally clear of them, because they will pick up on that tension. *end of public service comment* :D

- Andy

Well thats good to hear but are these new enforcements only for stations in Manhattan or is it through all the boroughs.

I would expect them to be at all of the busy stations. I've seen them at shea near the (7)(7x) hours before a game, and i know they'll probably put them at stillwel/coney island, especially as beach season swings into action. I have also seen them at roosevelt island, and at least one other station on the (7x) out the window but it was express so it was only a glance not sure which station it was.

- Andy

Archived