'arcing' question

traildriver

I rode the 7 train from Flushing to Times Square at 4:34 AM through the sleet and was witness to a tremendous 'strobe light show', as the train was arcing heavily. I am wondering if anyone knows if there is possible consequences to this .... any damage or other issues as a result?

I rode the 7 train from Flushing to Times Square at 4:34 AM through the sleet and was witness to a tremendous 'strobe light show', as the train was arcing heavily. I am wondering if anyone knows if there is possible consequences to this .... any damage or other issues as a result?

It's normal and happens every day. It just happens more during ice because the connection between the shoe and rail is inconsitant and there are gaps due to the ice/snow. Theres no real danger but occassionally if there is debris on the track, there is a possibility of a track fire.

Possibility of a track fire as Messino mentioned as well as the possibility that the shoe will weld itself to the third rail.

What you're seeing is essentially a giant arc-welding setup...if the train stopped with a shoe in the "arcing" state, it could weld itself.

Possibility of a track fire as Messino mentioned as well as the possibility that the shoe will weld itself to the third rail.

What you're seeing is essentially a giant arc-welding setup...if the train stopped with a shoe in the "arcing" state, it could weld itself.

You ever see a train on rusty rails try to weld its self to the rails?

Archived