Interesting True Things That Have Happened In Our Subway While Railfanning

One day I was at 34th Street-Pennsylvania Station. I was down at the end of the platform, around the 10 car marker.

This was when the (E) was R32 Brightliners and that was what I was waiting for - the (E).

Anyway, this (C) train arrives, and I figure an (E) will be next.

I honestly don't know what caused what occurred to happen, but as I wait, I hear a loud 'Yo!".

Sure enough, it's the T/O, and he is yelling at me! "Come on, man! I don't stop down there! I've never stopped down there.'

Sheepishly, I apologized and said I was waiting for the E. He pulled out and I did get my E train that day.

i was once at astoria waiting for a <Q> and instead an (N) arrives. well of course its the last stop and its summer. the t/o's are in front of the dispatcher office laughing and talking and a <Q> arrives to coney island so me and my father get on and sit down in the train when this t/o out of nowhere tells us to get off the train because listen to this he says the (N) leaves first. i tell him we know that but are taking the <Q> to coney island and he keeps on telling us to go get on the (N) saying whats the differnce. the difference is that we were going to fan the brighton line but he wanted to us to get on the (N) saying it was just as nice as the <Q> well we where arguing for 10 minutes when the (N) leaves. he tells us see yall missed the train. well its time for me to go on my shift. the next thing i know hes driving the <Q> so i just yell out "hell no!!" so we get off the train and lucky when we got off another <Q> arrives. we get on that one and believe it or not the second <Q> i got on left before his. was not able to railfan because by the time the <Q> arrived it was 4pm and then by the time i got to coney island it was 6pm but i took pictures of stillwell terminal. that was one horrible railfanning day :):o

One time, when I was a little one (back in the 1970'), I entered the subway at Canal Street-Holland Tunnel 70(A) 70(AA) 70(CC) 70(E). I had the money to buy a token and I don't why I tried it. I went to the turnstile (it was one that had a green back and silver bars and a flat arm). Then I went over to the Token Booth.

I claimed I had placed a token into the turnstile and it didn't work. She came out of the Token Booth and went over to the turnstile.

'Son, there is no token in there.' Then, instead of getting angry with me, she said 'But, if you give me 50 cents, I will put a token in there for the arm to work and if you give me a dollar, I'll also put a token in your pocket for you to get home.' I am thankful to this day that the Token Booth clerk did not get angr

Archived