Documentary Film

Hi there,

I'm a graduate student in Social Documentary Film at the School of Visual Arts. I'm planning to make a short film about MTA subway employees who have experienced the tragedy of someone taking his/her life on the tracks and the impact this has on those unfortunate to experience this. I'm looking for guidance on who I should speak with and/or include in the film. Are there support groups? I've read about Rabbi Harry Berkowitz. Is he someone I should contact? I'd have to start filming soon, since my deadline for school is soon! Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi there,

I'm a graduate student in Social Documentary Film at the School of Visual Arts. I'm planning to make a short film about MTA subway employees who have experienced the tragedy of someone taking his/her life on the tracks and the impact this has on those unfortunate to experience this. I'm looking for guidance on who I should speak with and/or include in the film. Are there support groups? I've read about Rabbi Harry Berkowitz. Is he someone I should contact? I'd have to start filming soon, since my deadline for school is soon! Thanks for any help you can provide.

Why would you contact a rabbi? There arnt that many j3w MTA employees that go see that particular rabbi for tragedys in the subway.. No one wants to re-live their experiences for some student doc.

Because, from what I understand, the chief chaplain of MTA is Rabbi Berkowitz. And I understand that asking people to talk with me about something so painful is asking a lot, but I'm hoping to bring awareness to an experience that, unless you've gone through it yourself or know someone who has, not many people think about.

I saw an interview on PIX 11 a few months ago with a very senior T/O talking about 12-9's that occured while he was operating a train. Anyway, he said that the MTA does not offer support of any kind after an accident, and just expects you back on the job as soon as possible (though they do give you some time off if you prove that you need it).

Still, there is a Work Life Services department at the MTA that offers counseling to employees with psychologists, social workers, etc, so you may want to contact them.

I also found this article that mentions Rabbi Berkowitz, the "crisis intervention coordinator at the employee assistance program and office of the chaplain at MTA/New York City Transit" (quoted from a different article), does seem to have some connection to the MTA, not just MTAPD. ALso notice he gave the eulogy for someone that was apparently not Jewish, so just because he is a Rabbi does not mean he would not have a connection to a non-jewish employee, as Messino implied. A chaplain helps everyone, so it might pay to send this guy an e-mail.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2008-10-23/local/17908578_1_nyc-transit-president-roger-toussaint-motorman

Archived