BL20G & Clifton Shop

Y2Julio

SIR is technically a railroad, which links to other Railroad Lines that head into NJ.. TBH Id prefer to see RR equipment then Subway equipment on the SIRTOA.

Why should they get the subway locos. MNR doesn't need them, they have there own GP35s and BL20s. LIRR, idk what loco they use for move. Forgot the model.

As for fitting in St. George, Im pretty sure it can, otherwise the (MTA) wouldn't have them.

Where does the SIRT connect to any other railroad? If the North Shore line would ever get rebuilt (they will put men on Mars before that is done), there would be a remote possibility of a connection to the outside world. Right now, the SIRT is a totally land locked railroad.

Why do you think the BL20's were sent over on barges and loaded onto trucks to get to Clifton.

The LIRR uses EMD MP15ac's and EMD SW1001's for work train, change of engines/rescue/maintainance of way service. Both of those locos are tired and beat to hell. There have been several RFP's issued for new work service locos for the LIRR, but the current and on-going "financial difficulties" being reported by the MTA have put an end to that several times now.

I believe the restrictions on the BL20's in the ferry terminal are due to the ongoing, never ending construction at the terminal with the rebuilding of the bus ramps. I can't see there being any height problems once the temporary ceilings/barriers are removed. The tight curves might be another story though.

What I never understood is why the SIRT needed four locomotives. 95% of the time, they are sitting in Clifton yard. I think two would been sufficient.

• 2 months later...

there was one winter were the subway cars was unable to move. i was able to get to the depot when one of the loco's was pulling a few of the cars. In this case it was a good thing, if all 4 were in service that would have at least put 4 trains in service to maintain a limited schedule. lol Yes as soon as i got in i got snow work.:P

Online customers??? O_o???

SIRTOA does not require you to book online to ride, just use a vending maching convienientely located in the station [Tompkinsville/St.George ONLY], pay $2.25 using cash, debit or credit card and your ready to go... For Stapleton and points South, it's free to ride between those stations...

I believe he might have been referring to freight customers, not passenger service.

• 9 years later...