How MTA's real estate deals have shortchanged the MTA

BrooklynBus

That is a real disgrace that 370 Street still looks like shit. I worked both of my summer internships with the (MTA) at 370 Jay St., but all paperwork I had to take to 130 Livingston St, which is a worlds better in terms of modern facilities. 370 Jay Street made me feel like I was stepping back into the 70s or the 80s. :P The only thing I liked about being there was that plaza over near where the (B54) runs and the pizzeria with all of the paesans there by Adams St. :cool: I doubt that place is run all by Italians though since that was almost 15 years ago.

What years were you there? They started renovating all the floors around 1990 and most of the floors were completed by 2000. Have you seen the offices at 347 Madison? Those were in far worse shape than Jay Street.

I was there in the summer of 1997 and 1998 as a paid high school intern and even then they had the scaffolding and such on the building. I got a free Unlimited Metrocard that I used during the week which had set hours (something like 07:00 until 19:00 or so). I work down the street from 347 Madison and pass by it almost everyday, but I have never been inside of it before.

That scaffolding must have been temporary because it was removed after that. You must have been there just before the renovations started. They first did the area by the elevators polishing the granite and improving the lighting. Then they renovated 2 floors at a time by removing all the walls and installing modular furniture in an open area. I think they renovated about 10 of the floors.

I had several meetings at 347 and every floor except the one where the Board meets, was dark and dingy with worn out carpeting. I was thinking how depressing it must be to work there. The other two buildings were okay.

That scaffolding must have been temporary because it was removed after that. You must have been there just before the renovations started. They first did the area by the elevators polishing the granite and improving the lighting. Then they renovated 2 floors at a time by removing all the walls and installing modular furniture in an open area. I think they renovated about 10 of the floors.

I had several meetings at 347 and every floor except the one where the Board meets, was dark and dingy with worn out carpeting. I was thinking how depressing it must be to work there. The other two buildings were okay.

I worked in two different departments. I recall working on the 3rd floor the last year because I would usually just walk up the stairs instead of using the elevator to get exercise.

Archived