Cruise ship strikes Manhattan pier; no injuries reported

Trainspotter

Cruise ship strikes Manhattan pier; no injuries reported

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

May 25th 2008

alg_ship1.jpg

Giancarli for News

The cruise ship Norwegian Spirit after ramming into Pier 90 on the Hudson River.

Authorities say a cruise ship has hit and damaged a Manhattan pier, but no one has been hurt.

The city Buildings Department says the accident Sunday morning damaged beams supporting upper-level parking lots at Pier 90 on the Hudson River. But the agency says there's no danger of a collapse.

The Buildings Department says the ship was the Norwegian Spirit. Norwegian Cruise Lines representatives haven't immediately responded to telephone and e-mail messages.

The cruise line's Web site says the Norwegian Spirit was due in to New York Sunday morning after a jaunt to the Caribbean. It carries about 2,000 passengers and 1,100 crew members.

Hmmm.....was looking at the Norwegian Spirit yesterday, didn't notice a thing. But I didn't know of an incident.

BTW, been a while since I've seen this, but three cruise ships sitting on dock. The Norwegian Spirit, Norwegian Dawn, and then the usual Carnival one (always forget the name of this one).

Hmmm.....was looking at the Norwegian Spirit yesterday, didn't notice a thing. But I didn't know of an incident.

BTW, been a while since I've seen this, but three cruise ships sitting on dock. The Norwegian Spirit, Norwegian Dawn, and then the usual Carnival one (always forget the name of this one).

Freedom of the seas?

- Andy

I think thats the one! But man, I'm really having a hard time putting a name to that boat. Something is telling me the name of the usual NY Bound boat is the Imagination.

Carnival operates under the cunard name the 3 queens as well as freedom of the seas and one other ship there. The rest of their fleet operate from port canaveral in florida.

- Andy

Archived