Central Avenue Bus Rapid Transit Assessment Study

Trainspotter

Central Avenue Bus Rapid Transit Assessment Study

What is BRT?

Thriving communities need effective transit service to provide new mobility options, reduce dependence upon automobiles, improve air quality and improve overall quality of life. But implementing new service can be difficult. Heavy and light rail options are popular, but they are expensive. Traditional bus service is flexible and inexpensive, but is often hampered by roadway congestion.

Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) is a high quality, high capacity rapid transit system that offers many of the advantages of rail transit but at a lower and more affordable cost.

BRT vehicles may use exclusive lanes for all or part of their route, thus avoiding traffic. Other customer friendly features may include: attractive, comfortable stations that are focus points for neighborhoods, prepaying fares at stations (instead of on the bus) to speed boarding, and boarding through multiple doors, like on a train, to speed trips. Combined, these measures help keep BRT moving and save customers time. BRT service is fast, frequent, attractive to use and highly visible.

The Westchester County Department of Transportation has engaged the services of STV Incorporated to determine the feasibility of Bus Rapid Transit in the Central Avenue Corridor.

Bus Rapid Transit Slide Show Presentation

http://www.westchestergov.com/transportation/what_is_bus_rapid_transit_slides.htm

I had sent an e-mail to the WCDOT. I had posted this on another forum that I was once on. I asked them about looking into the LRV. What is an LRV?, they replied. They even asked me to meet with them to dicuss it. Westchester residents mostly drive. Those in charge of the WCDOT, do. Just as alot of those in the MTA, those in the WCDOT rarely (if at all) use the system that they are in charge of. Thankfully they are trying to do something, even though a LRV would be better for Central Ave, IMO. It would be amazing to see a LRV become elevated in the Bronx, and connect with the #4 subway line.

But even in Wealthy Westchester, public transportation dollars are tight. So BRT might be best.

Archived