MTA Testing Removal of Trash Cans at Stations

Guest Lance

I have to agree with MTA on this. Who the blame? All the city people who ride the subway. Even with all the trash can available , most of the garbage i seen landed elsewhere. If you want cleaner subway, stop bringing coffee on the train till you are in work, eat at home or other dining places. During the summer just bring a bottle of water. The subway are there to help you get from point a to point b. that it.

Also it good ideas to start removing now to prevent terrorrist threat like with cynaide in japan, and london underground bomb. Don't mean to scare your commute but it something to think about.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest lance25

Apparently, against all logic and reason, this pilot is actually working.

Looks as if New Yorkers can actually pick up after themselves.

The MTA’s widely ballyhooed plan to remove trash cans from certain subway stations — to cut the amount of garbage generated and fight a stubborn rat problem — appears to be working, officials said yesterday.

“So far, we are not seeing a greater amount of trash [left behind],” said New York City Transit President Thomas Prendergast.

Not only are riders not littering all over the stations, they are also helping reduce the total volume of trash removed each day, he said.

“The number of bags that we generate [for removal] is down about a third,” Prendergast told the MTA’s transit committee.

That’s good news for the MTA, which has admitted to struggling with the epic task of clearing the 40 tons of trash left behind in the system ever day.

The pilot program began with removing receptacles from the Eighth Street station on the N, R and W lines in Manhattan and Flushing/Main Street in Queens.

Prendergast said that the MTA, though pleased, has no plans to expand the pilot program.

Courtesy: JENNIFER FERMINO, NY Post

Someone needs to tell Jennifer that the (W) doesn't exist anymore though.

At some stations this could make sense to remove garbage bins. Like, most of the (G) line or the (J) line, at Bowery maybe or even 21 St-Van Alst, not at 8 St or Main St where there are floods of people taking the subway.

Apparently, against all logic and reason, this pilot is actually working.

Yeah, because it's being dumped on the trains. I'm starting to realize that trains are getting dirtier.

Guest lance25

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. I meant to post that when I posted the update, but I was in a rush. Flushing-Main and 8th Street may be cleaner, but people are probably taking their garbage onto the trains and leaving them there, which doesn't help. All that does is move the garbage from one spot to another one.

Archived