MTA Testing Removal of Trash Cans at Stations

Guest Lance

Yes. Fines for all "nuisance" crimes need to be increased and enforced, and made final, allowed to be garnished from wages if need be, and made to be ineligible to be expunged in bankruptcies.

Sentences and punishments for "more than a nuisance" crimes need to also be increased.

This country has gotten soft on law/rule enforcement which is why everyone and their mother seems to think the rules don't apply to them like the snot nosed kid that always got the sh*t kicked out of him at recess in grade school.

You hit the nail right on the head.

And concerning NYCT, the worst thing they could do is REMOVE trash cans from the system. At this rate, whose to say that the MTA, in its infinite wisdom (*cough*sarcasm*cough*), won't start considering getting rid of the R-127/134 garbage motors?;)

Your a little late on that, they want those cars gone. They have been nothing but trouble.

Are they serious??

Plain and simple... if I just finished a gyro and have the bag, wrapper, napkins, fork, and soda can, I'm getting rid of it there whether it be in a garbage can or on the tracks. No way I'm giving up my seat to throw that out at the next station and I'm certainly not going to carry it for 30+ minutes home. If anything I might put it under the seat and "accidentally" forget it was there.

you see people like you cant ever be apart of the better and greater good if you want too do that your just apart of the problem and as you say you wont get up to throw out your trash. so you dont need to bring it on the train at all, you need to just eat it before you even get in the system. this is why we are the nastiest system in the US we cant be like any other place that is nice and clean because people are just nasty

I might sound crazy for this, but I actually hold onto garbage until I find a can or bin. The subway would look much better if people weren't slobs.

Thats common decency, the fact that thats so out of the ordinary or note worthy speaks volumes about this city

Are they serious??

Plain and simple... if I just finished a gyro and have the bag, wrapper, napkins, fork, and soda can, I'm getting rid of it there whether it be in a garbage can or on the tracks. No way I'm giving up my seat to throw that out at the next station and I'm certainly not going to carry it for 30+ minutes home. If anything I might put it under the seat and "accidentally" forget it was there.

Thanks for admitting to the forum that despite being a snob, you're no better than the skells you claim to hate so much:

NYC Transit Rules of Conduct

Following are highlights of some of the MTA NYC Transit subway and bus rules.Violation of any of these rules can result in arrest,

fine, and/or ejection from the system. For a complete listing of NYC Transit subway and bus rules click here.

It is a violation to-

Jump the turnstile or enter the system improperly,

even if your MetroCard is not working properly

Refuse to present special fare card to police officer or transit employee

Straddle a bicycle, wear in-line or roller skates, stand on a skateboard or ride a scooter

Move between end doors of a subway car whether or not train is in motion, except in an emergency or when directed by police officer or conductor

Place one's foot on the seat of a subway, bus, or platform bench; occupy more than one seat or place bags on an empty seat when doing so would interfere with transit operations or the comfort of other customers

Fail to pay the proper fare

Panhandle or beg

Play a radio audible to others or use amplified devices on platforms

Block free movement

Lie down

Drink alcoholic beverages

Carry any liquid in an open container onto a train or bus

Engage in unauthorized

commercial activity

Enter tracks, tunnels, or other non-public areas

Carry bulky items likely to cause inconvenience or

hazard to yourself and others

Damage subway or bus

property - that includes graffiti or scratchitti

Litter or create unsanitary conditions

Smoke anywhere on NYC Transit property,

including outdoor stations

Are they serious??

Ive eaten lunch on the Subway many times, with everyones busy schedules, who has the time to sit around and eat their lunch then get on the train, and if the garbage can is overflowing, im not touching it to push it down and risk getting who knows what, im gunna leave next to or on top of the can.

If a trash can is full, I carry it with me and find another one.

Or, I'll balance it delicately on top of the pile, without touching anything else.

There's no reason to throw it on the floor or leave it on the train. One of the biggest nuisances with trash is bottles rolling around the floor of a train because some jack*ss was too lazy to throw it out.

Thanks for admitting to the forum that despite being a snob, you're no better than the skells you claim to hate so much:

If even bothered to read what I said instead of labeling me as whatever then you would've clearly seen that I said that if there is no garbage can on the platform then it's ending up on the tracks, but because there are garbage cans everywhere I do not litter at all.

If even bothered to read what I said instead of labeling me as whatever then you would've clearly seen that I said that if there is no garbage can on the platform then it's ending up on the tracks, but because there are garbage cans everywhere I do not litter at all.

Funny, because if you had bothered to read the code of conduct, you'd realize that it does not provide an escape clause saying that it's OK to litter just because Gorgor can't find a convenient garbage can.

On the tracks is a bad place...inconsiderate for the workers who have to walk down there, and the potential for track fires depending on where it ends up.

Ive eaten lunch on the Subway many times, with everyones busy schedules, who has the time to sit around and eat their lunch then get on the train, and if the garbage can is overflowing, im not touching it to push it down and risk getting who knows what, im gunna leave next to or on top of the can.

That's fair. When the cleaner comes to pick up the trash, they can get the fallout from the can.

There's no reason to throw it on the platform generally, on the tracks, or leave it in a subway car. It's inconsiderate for the other people using the system.

Funny how some of those complaining about "riff raff" in the other thread seem to have no problem saddling every body else with their sh*t.

Still, if there are no cans, just hold onto it. When I want to spit out gum, I dont stick it onto a pole, and I just keep chewing it till I leave. Dumping on the tracks is not cool (fires), especially for those workers who go down there to make repairs, just to make sure YOU can get to work on time Monday morning. Once you get off the train, just dump it in a street garbage can... sheesh. And do you know how ******* annoying it is to see a chicken wing/rolling soda can/paper flopping all over the place because some fool had to pretend that they left it under their seat? I don't agree with removing cans, but whether there are cans are not, fools are still going to dump shit under the seat. ****, I could modify a 160 to have a trash can ONBOARD the subway car and lazy ******** still will be leaving shit under the seats.

Be considerate. I carry my trash sometimes. Its not that hard, unless you are scrambling to finish your homework/paperwork/presentation on the train or something (which is still a very bad habit).

What you meant to say and what your post says are not the same thing. Perhaps you better re-read your post and edit it. What follows is not directed at you, though. I say that all eating on buses and trains should be illegal, except for infants and those with certain illnesses. In the subways the air quality and overall environment is only a step or two above a public restroom IMO. It amazes me that people talk about skells and the homeless on the subways yet think nothing of chomping down on a burger, gyro, hero, whatever, in the exact same place those they look down upon do As far as I can see that makes you one of them, no matter what your position in life is in your mind. . Since the (MTA), DC Metro, and others have a revolving door as far as management goes I'm surprised the " no eating or drinking" policy hasn't been implemented here. I used to curse those who left empty coffee cups, beer and soda cans, and half eaten food on trains because the spills inevitably ended up near or in my operating position. Sticky floors and /or foul smelling operating positions ruined whole trips for me. Since garbage already piles up in the subways I say ban the food, first, before the cans are removed. I think the (MTA) is putting the cart before the horse this time. IMO if food is not banned more cans and cleaners will be needed, not less of each. Just my opinion. Carry on.

That's fair. When the cleaner comes to pick up the trash, they can get the fallout from the can.

There's no reason to throw it on the platform generally, on the tracks, or leave it in a subway car. It's inconsiderate for the other people using the system.

Funny how some of those complaining about "riff raff" in the other thread seem to have no problem saddling every body else with their sh*t.

well I dont throw it on the tracks, I was just sayin if the can is full, ill leave it next to the can, but I rarely have anything that needs throwing out when im down there.

well I dont throw it on the tracks, I was just sayin if the can is full, ill leave it next to the can, but I rarely have anything that needs throwing out when im down there.

The last part of that wasn't directed at you...don't worry. What you said is a reasonable alternative when the trash is full.

That's the same as dumping it on the platform away from a can. Is it that much of an inconvenience to wait until you exit the system of find a can that isn't over flowing?

I think New York needs to be stricter about its food policies on the subway. It's one of the most effective ways to reduce litter systemwide. You don't actually need police at every station to enforce this law, just enough to change the culture. It's awkward now to eat on the PATH - this wasn't the case five to ten years ago. (And trust me, the PATH is nowhere near as "policed" as you think it is.)

Also, reducing the amount of trash cans in a major city also gives it more security. After the London bombings of 2005, you can barely find a public trash can anywhere in Central London, and any increase in street littering there has been negligible. It's really the culture and the attitude about littering that needs to change. Should it be through enforcement and strict fines? [shrug] Whatever works best.

Your a little late on that, they want those cars gone. They have been nothing but trouble.

I knew the proposal to remove trash bins was probably a scheme to scrap the R127/134 and R33 box motors all along. Since the R127/134s are modified R62As, they should be converted into passenger R62As if they were to be take out of service, increasing IRT passenger capacity.

Still, if there are no cans, just hold onto it. When I want to spit out gum, I dont stick it onto a pole, and I just keep chewing it till I leave. Dumping on the tracks is not cool (fires), especially for those workers who go down there to make repairs, just to make sure YOU can get to work on time Monday morning. Once you get off the train, just dump it in a street garbage can... sheesh. And do you know how ******* annoying it is to see a chicken wing/rolling soda can/paper flopping all over the place because some fool had to pretend that they left it under their seat? I don't agree with removing cans, but whether there are cans are not, fools are still going to dump shit under the seat. ****, I could modify a 160 to have a trash can ONBOARD the subway car and lazy ******** still will be leaving shit under the seats.

Be considerate. I carry my trash sometimes. Its not that hard, unless you are scrambling to finish your homework/paperwork/presentation on the train or something (which is still a very bad habit).

Actually as a matter of fact on the way home I almost always review my notes and get a little work done, so there's absolutely no way I can do that when I'm holding anything.

Also, most New Yorkers will not hold on to their garbage for 30+ minutes so that they can properly dispose of it in a garbage can above ground. I actually think most would toss it under the seats in the subway car rather than toss it on the tracks or platform because the act of doing so is less noticeable. Removing garbage cans is the dumbest idea ever, and if they think that New Yorkers are going to hold onto their garbage or not bring it in the subway then they aren't thinking at all.

And don't even think of telling me that I should save the work till I get home so I can hold some crap because there is absolutely no way I'm using my personal time for work.

Montreal just got rid of all the garbage bins on the Subway platforms and instead moved them near the entrances and turnstiles.

Boost recycling and increase safety. Garbage has been known to fly around and jam métro doors or wind up on the tracks.

“Safety is our primary reason for doing this,” Rouette said, adding that wall-mounted trash bins on platforms have been the sites of deliberately set fires.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/Safety+forces+clean/5325207/story.html#ixzz1c1sVd4fa

This is how they look

5325210.bin?size=620x400s

From personal observations it seems to have worked.. usually newspapers would fly off the platforms, get soaked in oil then get stuck under the rubber tires.

Since the R127/134s are modified R62As, they should be converted into passenger R62As if they were to be take out of service, increasing IRT passenger capacity.

It can't and probably won't be done. R-127/134s have no windows, only one set of doors on each side, and no air conditioning. The lackluster (MTA) would never go to such lengths such as taking the time to install so many needed things into a non-revenue subway car. At least it doesn't seem they would...

Archived