W & B Dyre ave station

fset

After Baychester Ave stop, why didnt the old W&B make the next stop just slightly north of Boston Road. Dyre Ave is away from the main bus lines, and was so close to the old Kingsbridge Rd (In Mt Vernon). Why avoid a major street and then build Dyre Ave station so close to the next stop? When I drive by on route NY-22, I can't imagine that the long-gone Kingsbridge Rd stop was a traffic generator. Any idea on the W&B planning it this way?

Well the NYW&B ran from Port Chester/Whie Plains to about the South Bronx, which was pretty long. Stations had to stay apart, due to length. Just like the railroad today.

Besides I dont see a need for a stop North of US Route 1 is Dyre Avenue Station is close by.

I think his idea was an actual Boston Road stop that had an exit on Boston Road itself (direct access to all the Westchester bus lines and a housing project a block away) since Baychester and Gun Hill have no problem with exits at the north end of the platform. Again, we do not know exactly what the neighborhood looked like then, but I can be sure the housing project wasn't there then.

I think his idea was an actual Boston Road stop that had an exit on Boston Road itself (direct access to all the Westchester bus lines and a housing project a block away) since Baychester and Gun Hill have no problem with exits at the north end of the platform. Again, we do not know exactly what the neighborhood looked like then, but I can be sure the housing project wasn't there then.

Bee-Line didn't exist during the NYW&B days. This is was years ago.

yes, what I was saying is that there should have been an exit closer to Boston Rd (or to Secor Ave). When the W&B was planned, they spaced the stations nicely, except near the Bronx-Westchester line, having Dyre Ave station within spitting distance of the (former) Kingsbridge Rd station in Mt Vernon.

The W&B intended to avoid costs by using open land for their route, but they also failed to be a traffic generator by avoiding major intersections. So now

I hate getting off the bus on Boston Rd to walk the 2-3 blocks to the station, because this neighborhood is mixed-use residential-commercial, and I hate walking past car repair shops or houses where the sidewalk is broken. This neighborhood east of Dyre Ave is a mess.

yes, what I was saying is that there should have been an exit closer to Boston Rd (or to Secor Ave). When the W&B was planned, they spaced the stations nicely, except near the Bronx-Westchester line, having Dyre Ave station within spitting distance of the (former) Kingsbridge Rd station in Mt Vernon.

The W&B intended to avoid costs by using open land for their route, but they also failed to be a traffic generator by avoiding major intersections. So now

I hate getting off the bus on Boston Rd to walk the 2-3 blocks to the station, because this neighborhood is mixed-use residential-commercial, and I hate walking past car repair shops or houses where the sidewalk is broken. This neighborhood east of Dyre Ave is a mess.

It's the New York City Subway not the we make it the way you like subway.

Archived