NJ Transit; Poor Parking Management

gophergreen417

Hi everyone, does anyone have the same issues with the NJ Transit parking management vendor (Park America) that I'm having? Some of the deficiencies are bordering on dangerous. But I not just complaining, I'll provide recommendation to resolve these issues in future posts.

Here are just a few of my major beefs I have with the parking situation where I get on the NJ Transit train bound for Hoboken:

- cars park side by side, next to each other, perpindicular to the tracks. Riders have to walk from their cars to the train station in front of all the other parked cars. This is very dangerous as it puts riders in the direct path of drivers parking their cars or, at the end of the day, drivers speedily pulling out of their spaces.

- the lighting in the parking area is terrible, mostly relies on sparse street lighting which is dim at best.

- when you apply for the quarterly permit, there's no way to find out where you are on the waiting list. An applicant has to constantly call to get updates. In the meantime I can see there are many open spaces (perhaps 10-15 open spaces) that could be filled by paying customers.

- people waiting for their quarterly permit have to pay everyday to park, but there's no receipt to prove you paid. When I called Park America to see how someone could get a receipt, they only recommended that I write a check. I don't think my bank would appreciate 20 to 25 three dollar checks every month.

There are quite a few other issues I have with how this business is being managed and some good solutions too.... but I'll save them for other posts.

If you have any suggestions or you are experiencing the same problems... please let me know. I'm only looking to make things better for everyone.

Good luck,

gophergreen417

Hello,

The Little Silver Station along with several other stations along the North Jersey Coast Line are actually operated by the towns and townships in which they are located not NJ Transit. I personally haven't had any problems when parking at the Red Bank and Little Silver Stations but be sure to always read the signs at the entrance to ALL the station parking lots as each station has its own parking rules and hours in which you have to pay. The NJ Transit Police are very tough when it comes to parking enforcement.

Eric

I've never had any problems because I get dropped off/picked up from my station....but I read a article a few months back that said trying to find parking at Princeton Junction station on the :nec: after 6:30AM is like trying to find a needle in a haystack, its so bad that some people actually pay residents that live near the station, to allow them to use their driveway, outside of princeton junction station the only other serious parking problem I've heard about is at Cold Spring Harbor station on the LIRR

In the case of many NJT stations, IMO, NJT should really consider starting bus service a lot earlier and ending it a little later (not before 7:30 PM on any route) so that the local buses can serve as bus-to-rail shuttles...especially out in the western reaches of NJT's territory and in Monmouth County.

Archived