User-friendly MTA

SIR North Shore

Since the new MTA chairman would like for the MTA to become more user-friendly in 2012, I have a couple of suggestions.

1)When the S53 or S79 are not running across the VZ Bridge for whatever reason, there should be a "South Beach" destination available for both routes to use so as to lessen any possible confusion.

2)The S53 stopped short-turning at Victory/Clove Rd many years ago, so I don't think it would hurt to add an extra display showing "via Clove Road/via Broadway" in the Pt Richmond direction & "via Clove Road/via McLean Av" in the brooklyn bound direction.

Anyone else have suggestions for a more "user-friendly" MTA?

Yeah, we need more bus shelters on Staten Island particularly for express bus riders as I can literally count the bus shelters on one hand! :mad: Excluding local bus stops, there's maybe two bus shelters where only express buses stop at which is ridiculous. It would also be nice for them to make some sort of update on their website when the schedules are changed. I for one rely on some of the last express buses and here of late they've been cutting the last buses (in South Brooklyn anyway, (i.e. BM3 on Saturdays :mad:)) and I've been fortunate enough to check the schedule and catch the updates before heading out like a moron and being stranded. It looks like they're at least starting to do that since they posted the X17 schedule change on their website where you go to check the status of bus service, etc.

Agreed, it would be nice to have even the small version of the shelters along Narrows Road and better lighting for the stops as well.

I remember getting caught in a supercell thunderstorm one summer night waiting for the S53 at narrows road north & richmond road. I didn't want to leave the stop and wait inside the deli nearby with the chance that the S53 was running early. So I braved it out, standing underneath the trees as the frequent lightning turned the midnight sky into broad daylight. That night I was thankful the bus was running a few minutes early as it was a very scary event to witness! :eek:

Agreed, it would be nice to have even the small version of the shelters along Narrows Road and better lighting for the stops as well.

I remember getting caught in a supercell thunderstorm one summer night waiting for the S53 at narrows road north & richmond road. I didn't want to leave the stop and wait inside the deli nearby with the chance that the S53 was running early. So I braved it out, standing underneath the trees as the frequent lightning turned the midnight sky into broad daylight. That night I was thankful the bus was running a few minutes early as it was a very scary event to witness! :eek:

LOL... I've witnessed a few nasty storms coming from the X10 over by Slosson, so I know how scary that is. That S53 stop there by Richmond Rd should really be moved elsewhere. Pitch black over there and all of those trees and such. I wouldn't use that stop because it's just dark and dirty. I'd rather walk from the Targee stop and walk under the underpass and wait for the S53 at the stop by the firehouse if I have to use that line. There's a bus shelter there, far more lighting and you have the firefighter house right across the street.

LOL... I've witnessed a few nasty storms coming from the X10 over by Slosson, so I know how scary that is. That S53 stop there by Richmond Rd should really be moved elsewhere. Pitch black over there and all of those trees and such. I wouldn't use that stop because it's just dark and dirty. I'd rather walk from the Targee stop and walk under the underpass and wait for the S53 at the stop by the firehouse if I have to use that line. There's a bus shelter there, far more lighting and you have the firefighter house right across the street.

I agree, I also feel that my safety is in question at times waiting at that stop. It just has a very creepy feel to it with the mini-forest, the mystery set of stairs behind the stop, the darkness, the long windy sidewalk that nobody walks on...

I will heed that advice and wait only at the Targee stop from now on.

Archived