XBL (Lincoln Tunnel) and Diverting to Secaucus Junction

161 New York

Hi everyone!

I am posting to find out what happens when buses get diverted from their regular routes, lets say the 161 to the Frank R. Lautenberg Secaucus Junction Rail Station.

My specific questions are:

- Are there dedicated bus drop-off zones at the station?

- When buses divert, do passengers enter SEC, do they have to go through turnstiles or is there a fare control zone whereby passengers go immediately to the station platform to board trains to New York?

- Are passengers issued special tickets to give to train conductors?

- If conditions in the XBL/Lincoln Tunnel severely degrade service in and out of PABT. Does service originate from SEC, such as a 161 Paterson?

This will relate to a proposal that I want to make soon, which will be shared soon here! This is good to know to as a reverse commuter! :)

Hi everyone!

I am posting to find out what happens when buses get diverted from their regular routes, lets say the 161 to the Frank R. Lautenberg Secaucus Junction Rail Station.

My specific questions are:

- Are there dedicated bus drop-off zones at the station?

- When buses divert, do passengers enter SEC, do they have to go through turnstiles or is there a fare control zone whereby passengers go immediately to the station platform to board trains to New York?

- Are passengers issued special tickets to give to train conductors?

- If conditions in the XBL/Lincoln Tunnel severely degrade service in and out of PABT. Does service originate from SEC, such as a 161 Paterson?

This will relate to a proposal that I want to make soon, which will be shared soon here! This is good to know to as a reverse commuter! :)

In the situation that you presented, there was only one time in my memory that there was a time where buses were told to drop off at Secaucus, and that was the infamous SNAPPLE BOTTLE ON 495 Incident. People thought it was a bomb. I remember that day because I was doing the 329, and there was a TON of announcements from the Control Center. What happens in a situation like that, or worse, is that the buses on their way to NY that does NOT go to Union City can drop off passengers at the Junction, from where, they can access any incoming train to NY with either their pass or their proof of purchase: the receipt that comes out of the register on the bus (It is always good to have it, since you never know what might happens). The NJT Police and Conductors will allow the passengers to get on, thus train to NY. Buses that are coming to NY from the Turnpike via the Howell Garage can take the Holland Tunnel to NY and get to PABT if conditions are better than the Lincoln. Otherwise, drop off at the JCT. Buses already in Union City to NY, they're screwed since traffic is already messed up. As for leaving PABT, I honestly do not remember.

In the situation that you presented, there was only one time in my memory that there was a time where buses were told to drop off at Secaucus, and that was the infamous SNAPPLE BOTTLE ON 495 Incident. People thought it was a bomb. I remember that day because I was doing the 329, and there was a TON of announcements from the Control Center. What happens in a situation like that, or worse, is that the buses on their way to NY that does NOT go to Union City can drop off passengers at the Junction, from where, they can access any incoming train to NY with either their pass or their proof of purchase: the receipt that comes out of the register on the bus (It is always good to have it, since you never know what might happens). The NJT Police and Conductors will allow the passengers to get on, thus train to NY. Buses that are coming to NY from the Turnpike via the Howell Garage can take the Holland Tunnel to NY and get to PABT if conditions are better than the Lincoln. Otherwise, drop off at the JCT. Buses already in Union City to NY, they're screwed since traffic is already messed up. As for leaving PABT, I honestly do not remember.

Thanks SJP for your reply!

I just thought I'd ask because the other day I've gotten text alerts from NJT:

May 10, 2012 8:32am

Buses to/from PABT is subject to 45-60 minute delays due disabled vehicle in Tunnel. NJT bus tix/passes will be honored on trains. Buses may divert to Secaucus.

May 10, 2012 8:11 am

Due to delays at the Lincoln Tunnel, some buses may be diverted to Secaucus Junction for train service to New York.

Archived