How To: Survive A Job You Hate

realizm

How To: Survive A Job You Hate

269_survive-a-job-you-hate_flash.jpg

iStockphoto.com

The alarm sounds and the pain and despair immediately overcome your body like a flu kicking into motion. Your body aches, your heart races and your mind wanders and calculates the cause and effect of every plausible and valid reason not to leave the protection of your comforter. You aren’t sick. You aren’t hiding. It’s far worse.

You hate your job, and there is no way of getting out.

Millions of men face a similar scenario every morning. With a terrible economy and few companies hiring, making a career change is a major risk. People will laugh and tell you that you should be happy to even have a job at such a terrible time. They can say that with a smile because they don’t have your job. There are times you’d choose homelessness and poverty over sitting through another sales meeting or brainstorming session.

Here is the cold hard truth: You’re stuck, at least for now. Your only choice is to make the best of the circumstances. Just because you hate your job doesn’t mean you can’t take something of value from the situation (and something of value doesn’t mean stealing -- although you did run out of printer paper at home). Here are four tips on how to make the most out of a job you hate.

Entire article: AskMen.com - http://www.askmen.co...l#ixzz23pGTANd0

As the article continues the author lists strategies on how to survive your job.

Thoughts?

I make the best of my job. Remember: the moment you realize you hate your job, you've "lost the game." Always make it out alive and with something to take with you. I personally think people connections are the best.

True. It's a mindset in other words. And sulking or being a constant complainer wouldn't get anybody anywhere. Staying out of harmful gossip is a good strategy -- the supervisors will find out what's being talked about in the break room, eventually.

Be friendly, go in do a damn good job, try the best to your ability to follow company rules and policies and leave. Don't be insubordinate to your superiors and don't irritate your co-workers. That's what I've personally learned.

I'm sure there's more but that's all I have for now.

Easier said then done I know, but sometimes at least for me you got to bite the bullet sometimes and choose your battles carefully.

And kissing ass as some people do thinking they will get favor from their bosses or being the company snitch, at the expense of another employee, not a good idea. It can backfire and an employee that actually does that actually loses the respect of the employer or immediate supervisor. because that supervisor will be nervous about the whistleblower throwing him or her under the bus. Thought I'd throw that in.

Well, if you hate your job, why did you get in the first place? There has to be something you like about it and definitely make the best of it by doing things you like on the job. Obviously building relationships and engaging in productive company activities is a must, no matter what, but there are bound to be things that you'd like in a meeting, or things like that. If you grew tired of a job and dislike the things you once liked, then it's time to move on, but always make the best of it, and leave with a good impression on your ex-boss and ex-coworkers that you are one good dude who can be productive in the ventures ahead, to your next job, to your next career move, and beyond.

I chose to volunteer at a Railway Museum, I know I hate getting mud out of the ground, and cleaning up a mess I didn't make all the time, but I love trains, I love being around the tracks and learning stuff. This is why I chose to continue my time there, even though I am not making money. Same for if I didn't get into the Railroads, I'll still go into the subway and work, even though I hate being underground and in tunnels, I still love trains, I still love it.

Archived