Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
CDTA

Railfanning: The Social Experiment

I was railfanning on the (3) last week, and I overheard someone trying to ponder what I was doing. One thing in particular they said caught my eye. A social experiment. Could railfanning be used as a social experiment? I think it would make a good one, because of the numerous different reactions, and how they vary by region.

Thoughts?

I was railfanning on the (3) last week, and I overheard someone trying to ponder what I was doing. One thing in particular they said caught my eye. A social experiment. Could railfanning be used as a social experiment? I think it would make a good one, because of the numerous different reactions, and how they vary by region.

Thoughts?

Elaborate, please. How would one go conducting this 'experiment'?

• Upvote 1

Elaborate, please. How would one go conducting this 'experiment'?

Simple. Do what we do now. Record results. Done.

One of the most interesting things about the railfan community (at least here in NYC) is that many of the people here come from all different backgrounds, all different walks of life, and just by looking at them you couldn't tell they were a railfan until they whip out the camera and start chasing down trains and buses..

• Upvote 5