Angry Libyans Target Militias, Forcing Flight

Roadcruiser1

Angry Libyans Target Militias, Forcing Flight

By Suliman Ali Zway and Kareem Farhim

Published: September 21, 2012

BENGHAZI, Libya — Galvanized by anger over the killing of the popular American ambassador here last week, thousands of Libyans marched through this city on Friday, demanding the disarming of the militias that helped topple the dictatorship but have troubled the country with their refusal to disband.

In a show of mass frustration at the armed groups, protesters seized control of several militia headquarters on Friday night and handed them over to Libya’s national army in what appeared to be a coordinated sweep. They also stormed the headquarters of Ansar al-Sharia, a hard-line Islamist militia that has been linked to the attack on the United States Mission in Benghazi that killed the ambassador and three other Americans.

As members of Ansar al-Sharia fled their headquarters, protesters set at least one vehicle on fire, and Reuters reported that one person was killed. There were unconfirmed reports that several had been wounded by the departing gunmen.

http://www.nytimes.c...n-benghazi.html

I think my long time viewpoint of them just changed with these news coming in.

Road welcome back. There was just a thread that i had to close few days back because it turned into Islam vs West argument. Guys lets keep cool on this very touchy but important topic. Please don't force a 2nd closure of a thread again. Keep it mature and civil even if disagreement is a certain.

Sure, but this isn't a bad article. I actually think this might change how some people on this forum think of Muslims. It changed mines.

Archived