Wanna go railfan

Joe

in terms of cameras, what's better to bring along railfanning: a smaller point & shoot or the larger d-SLR? my p&s takes alright pictures but it is easier to carry around and such, but the d-SLR takes great pictures and would do better in low-light as you'd find underground. anyone got any suggestions on this?

I find that for good pictures without a flash, a DSLR works better because of the larger image sensor area which allows for faster shutter speeds without a dark image. My most valued asset for a camera has to be an image stabilizing lens, seeing as it helps eliminate image blur, which is easy to get when not using a flash. I say DSLR with an image stabilization lens, but I always find the smaller camera leads to less trouble (ie, "what are you doing, sir?").

yeah, the part about being [potentially] hassled with the d-SLR would be annoying. my only VR (nikons image stabilisation) lens is a 55-200mm, but that wouldn't be too ideal for this sort of thing, i'd say. generally i'd stick with my 18-55mm, that should be good, yes?

yeah, the part about being [potentially] hassled with the d-SLR would be annoying. my only VR (nikons image stabilisation) lens is a 55-200mm, but that wouldn't be too ideal for this sort of thing, i'd say. generally i'd stick with my 18-55mm, that should be good, yes?

If you have a bag so that you can put both lenses, you should do that.

But as for your question in the first post, if you want to go railfanning and take pictures without the hassle of carrying a DSLR with a bag, take a P&S. But if you don't mind carrying a bag with you, take the DSLR.

I actually managed to get my DSLR into the city this time (my bag is "compact") by removing some dividers and splitting the lens and body. I have to say it was well worth it. I got a lot of great pics (they'll be around here in a few) and if you're good with having your lens cover handy (as in, put it on right after you take your pics), nobody will bother you because they don't think you're taking pics... I'm happy I didn't even have to break out my rules this time.

Archived