Report finds more New York City subway car breakdowns

Trainspotter

Report finds more New York City subway car breakdowns

NEW YORK - New York City straphangers — facing a possible fare increase — can chalk up yet another indignity: an increasing number of subwaycar breakdowns.

A "subway report card" issued Tuesday by the group Straphangers Campaign said mechanical failures occurred about every 156,624 miles in 2006 and every 149,646 miles in 2007 — a "troubling trend" that raises "questions about the condition and maintenance of the aging transit fleet."

Some stranded riders also may be left to wonder what's going on. The report said accurate and understandable subwaycar announcements declined from 90 percent in the second half of 2006 to 85 percent in the second half of 2007.

The report also assesses such factors as cleanliness and the chances of getting a seat on individual subwaylines.

NYC Transit and its parent, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, had no immediate comment.

The transit system got a double-whammy on Tuesday. In his own report, Assemblyman Dov Hikind cited "rotting wood separating from the platform, dangerous gaps between the train and the platform" and "metal beams breaking away from concrete."

The cash-strapped MTA has proposed an 8 percent fare increase in 2009 for millions of subwaybus and regional rail riders — and another 5 percent hike in 2011. The agency says the fares are needed to cut deficits coming from rising fuel costs and shrinking real estate income.

Some fares just went up 3.5 percent in March.

From: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - July 30, 2008

Oh would they just shut up already, they should look at what the MDBF was in the 80's it was MUCH lower than it is today.

Also,the most reliable train in the fleet is an old train (The R68A).

yeah they should shut up. they should be happy that the (W) actually has a few R160Bs. think about the other lines. i don't think this info is accurate. i mean the (:o is getting better trains, the (7) is too long to wait ofr sometimes and mostly crowded. the (L) once u get into brooklyn, u get more & more people. and u can never find a seat. the (Q) is getting fithfier by the second. and (M) is good. just becuase it runs through a bad neighborhood doesn't mean anything. they got R160A think abou the ohter lines the (J) the (Z) and others.........

THEY NEED TO SHUT THEIR MOUTHS

Oh would they just shut up already, they should look at what the MDBF was in the 80's it was MUCH lower than it is today.

Also,the most reliable train in the fleet is an old train (The R68A).

yeah they should shut up. they should be happy that the (W) actually has a few R160Bs. think about the other lines. i don't think this info is accurate. i mean the (:( is getting better trains, the (7) is too long to wait ofr sometimes and mostly crowded. the (L) once u get into brooklyn, u get more & more people. and u can never find a seat. the (Q) is getting fithfier by the second. and (M) is good. just becuase it runs through a bad neighborhood doesn't mean anything. they got R160A think abou the ohter lines the (J) the (Z) and others.........

THEY NEED TO SHUT THEIR MOUTHS

I doubt that this surveys going to help change the mean distance between failure. Are you telling the riders to "shut up" or are you telling the surveying riders to "shut up". I agree with you in a way that they complain too much. I think that if they'd complain about train breakdowns (which doesn't happen everyday, as some riders would claim) everyday, then yeah, keep the complaints to yourself, but if you have a legit reason to complain, then go tell the MTA supervisor this, don't just whine, that won't help you anyways...:D The passengers being rude to the MTA workers, I'd wish they would find another form of transportation. :mad:

It is the right of every New Yorker to complain. That's ingrained into the personality. But, my response deals with this new technology. I am not against it, I just think it's over done. Many of the much older rolling stock rain for 25, 30, 35, 40 years and sometimes beyond. They worked though didn't they? However, tehcnology used in other parts of the wolrd need to be measured to see if what they use is better than ours. Where are all the old original builders of the "good stuff" when you need them?

Toid Avenoo El

Archived