Staten Island Expwy. and Verrazano Narrows Bridge

SI1980

Below, is a small set of photographs of when the Staten Island Expressway and Verrazano Narrows Bridge were mainly under construction in the early 1960s. Courtesy of Staten Island Advance and Brooklyn Historical Society.

Workers establish the footprint of the expressway here in this photograph from around 1962 or so. In the background, is the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. Near exit 13 in the Sunnyside section of Staten Island.

582587_517932748237537_942822134_n_zps71

Here, workers construct the main deck of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. June, 1963. Viewed from Ft. Hamilton Pkwy. in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.

734586_539627889401356_1525345394_n_zps6

The Staten Island Expressway and the Verrazano Narrows Bridge are several months away from opening day. April, 1964. Viewed from the Grymes Hill section of Staten Island.

11707837-standard_zps920b2dbc.jpg

Richard Ramaglia and George Scarpelli waited six days at the toll plaza to be the first two people to cross the bridge. November, 1964. 

11707836-standard_zpsd3a264ec.jpg

Opening day. 1964.

10900689-standard_zpse717112e.jpg

The day after the bridge opened to traffic. 1964.

9716162-large_zpse42892c3.jpg

Here's an additional photograph I recently acquired. This one shows the Staten Island Expressway near the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. The Hylan Blvd. overpass is in the background. From 1965.

65675033338_000345_zps613d594b.jpg

The Verrazano Narrows Bridge and the adjacent highways, i.e the Gowanus Expressway, SI Expressway as noted, and the Belt Parkway, was indeed an engineering feat, in a class of it's own, a critical link between Brooklyn, SI and NJ. Interesting enough there was alot of controversy behind the conception and eventual construction of this bridge due the drama Robert Moses brought. My understanding is that it also brought opposition from Bay Ridge residents who wanted nothing to do with the construction of the bridge and the new highways that feeds into it, as it forced may residents with homes in the ROW of the highways to relocate out of the neighborhood.

Now it's called the most dangerous bridge because it is deteriorating with bolts dislodging from the framework due to the monstrous traffic that goes through this historic bridge. Is this true? I know pretty naive question to ask, but yeah....

The Verrazano Narrows Bridge and the adjacent highways, i.e the Gowanus Expressway, SI Expressway as noted, and the Belt Parkway, was indeed an engineering feat, in a class of it's own, a critical link between Brooklyn, SI and NJ. Interesting enough there was alot of controversy behind the conception and eventual construction of this bridge due the drama Robert Moses brought. My understanding is that it also brought opposition from Bay Ridge residents who wanted nothing to do with the construction of the bridge and the new highways that feeds into it, as it forced may residents with homes in the ROW of the highways to relocate out of the neighborhood.

Now it's called the most dangerous bridge because it is deteriorating with bolts dislodging from the framework due to the monstrous traffic that goes through this historic bridge. Is this true? I know pretty naive question to ask, but yeah....

Times have changed.  When I first drove over the bridge in 1967, traffic was not bad at all. This is true for the Staten Island Expressway as well. I'd say that congestion started to become more apparent after 1970. Of course, more people from Brooklyn started to come to Staten Island, and development spread like wildfire throughout many parts of the island. Staten Island was a rather quiet borough before the bridge was built.

Anyway, I have heard some stories and rumors that it is one of the most dangerous bridges in New York, which is kind of shocking to me. Makes me wonder where the money goes, since drivers are charged almost $16.00 I believe.

Some additional photographs from 1965 and 1966.

65675033336_000069_zps76d148c0.jpg

50 cent toll, isn't that nice! lol

Anyway, I have heard some stories and rumors that it is one of the most dangerous bridges in New York, which is kind of shocking to me. Makes me wonder where the money goes, since drivers are charged almost $16.00 I believe.

Most of it subsidizes transit

Archived