Something different: A bit of R-4 in St. Louis

frankie

I've been following this forum for years and have enjoyed your photos of what I miss the most after being a transplant to the St. Louis area.  I grew up in Brooklyn and spend my early years riding the subways, so am very familiar with the IRT, BMT and IND lines of the '50's and '60.  Since I moved here in 1969, I no longer can enjoy the subways, so since I can't come to New York as often as I want, I had to bring the subway out to me!  But only in the form of a destination assembly off of a R-4 IND car - numbered 448.  The assembly in my collection is fully operational.  I just built a cradle to make it mobile.  12 wing nuts will loosen the vertical brackets to remove it.  Shortly I will rewire and add the appropirate lighting for the top two cartridges.  It currently sits in my family room.

The top photo is current and will be used for my avitar shortly.  The other photos show the workings and the disassembly process along with an exterior and interior shot taken somewhere in the tunnels of the city.

BTW, this is my first posting of photos and it'll probably be awhile before I post others.

Frankie

R444817_zpsebd21258.jpg

R444828_zps42ab1fc6.jpg

R444821_zps4b0bf70d.jpg

R444812_zps7050cea1.jpg

R444811_zps6f6eab49.jpg

R44486_zps8913af8c.jpg

R44487_zps323288d2.jpg

R44489_zps1e309b4d.jpg

R44488_zpse2026f14.jpg

Frankie, welcome aboard man! I myself, was a NYC Transplant to Phoenix, AZ for 5 years. However, the homesickness would not go away, so I did make my comeback in late 2011. In essence, I feel your pain of no subways :unsure: . Anyways, thank you for sharing this terrific rollsign with us. That historic piece is in crisp shape! Please continue to chime into conversations with us; especially in the photo thread, so you can see how far the TA has come since your departure from here.

Zach

Thanks for the kind words Zack.  I was raised in the Bushwick area of Brooklyn before the family moved to Mineola in 1960 where I attended high school.  My dad worked for the NYCTA in ENY - he was a bus mechanic until his retirement back in 1972.  I will definitely chime in.

Regarding the sign, I will update here with a photo once I have it lighted.  It may be awhile.

Frankie

Archived