A little unsure please help , how long is any probation period in Mta lirr Track dept or others

timstandupguy

Reason im writing because im having a little decision making thats hard for me to make i recently ACE the interview for MTA LIRR trackworker position my drug test and physical is tomorrow that will be a cake walk my start date is July 24. I work for another Railroad and i been there 4 years amtrak Track as well . i always wanted to work for LIRR now my question im trying to get a leave of absent from my current job but they can only grant me possible 30 days and i have to make a decison quick because the 24 is approaching  so now i was told MTA LIRR track dept probation is 1 year i just want to protect my self just encase things at MTA dont work out that i can return to my amtrak job what would you guys do i have experience in track so its not like im over my head.

You kind of answer your own question about probation. But personally you have to weigh the pros and cons of each RR. Such as pension and retirement. Now as far as job growth goes. You can advance yourself from track to another dept in the LIRR or advance up to gangforeman. I do have friend who was in track 2 years ago and he transferred to Machinists in M of E. Also there are others who have went into the Transportation dept such as Engineer. But that's dedication on another level. But its up to you and where you see yourself going in another 5 to 10 years. A couple of my GF in M of E is from Amtrak.

thanks Lirr 154 your very dependable. well i dont really lose anything my railroad retirement transfers over but Lirr exceeds amtrak in all benefit category tats the reason i want to jump ship. how long was your probation ?

1 year as well. It went fast.

Archived